• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone help with this one ? (1 Viewer)

IanF

I'm hoping they are Whinchat, but I'm not so sure they aren't Stonechat or something I haven't considered ?

Not the sharpest I've taken, but the light went just as I found them and it was taken at 1/30th sec !

Attachments

• dscn1056ao.jpg
    dscn1056ao.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 394
Hi! Personally I'd go for immature/female stonechat, they certainly arent adult whinchat, if they were the colours would be much brighter, expecially the breast colour and the eye stripe would be a lot more promenant! Hope i've been of some help...

Yes, Whinchat. Get them a lot on Dartmoor. The eye stripe gives them away as well as the almond shaped lined feathers on the back (not sure of the feather term, maybe wing coverts or mantle.) and the 'spots' on the rump. I am sure Stonechat don't have the latter two features.

(Hope I don't get shot down for getting it wrong.)

50/50 !

The birds were brightly coloured, but the photo is very drab as it had clouded over by then. The eyestripe was certainly very prominent which made me think Whinchat.

Thanks Jess. I'll have to pop back for a better shot another day as they were just a bit too far off in the low light conditions. They are quite strikingly marked birds to see.

Hi Ian,
Another good pointer towards Whinchat is the relatively long primary projection compared with Stonechat(due to it being a long-distance migrant).As Michael and others point out,the supercilium is also far too prominent for Stonechat(at least hibernans/rubcola)
Nice shot!Reminds me,I haven't seen one this year!
Harry H

Thanks for that Harry, I am in desparate need of a few pointers for several species of birds. There are a few good tips here.

Whinchat??? Yes, I think I remember them from when they used to inhabit some of our now-ploughed heaths!
Tend to agree on the ID, juv Whins, but would love to see another pic in bright light provided they have not moved on.

Hopefully tomorrow Mike - Whinchat permitting !

I'll have a look down in the morning as I'm sure I caught a glimpse of a well marked male last week has assumed Wheatear or Stonechat from the quick look I got.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back