• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phyllosc Warbler ID (2 Viewers)

Adey Baker

This one should be easy enough for our warbler experts!

I've just bought a slide-scanner and I thought I'd post this shot that I took in late September 1998 in Leicestershire. It's just the central area of the slide (Kodak Elitechrome 100) taken, handheld (leaning on a bridge), with an Olympus OM1 camera with Sigma 400mm APO lens.

With dark legs,limited amount of yellow on the underside and not a trace of green in the upperparts I'd assumed it was a Chiffchaff - but it seems to have too long a primary projection, more in keeping with Willow Warbler.

Any comments?

Attachments

• chiff willow.jpg
    chiff willow.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 366
I Would defenitely opt for a Chiff Chaff,
I see lots of them on my local patch,and this definately fits the bill...er sorry about the pun.

Thanks for confirming my original thoughts on Chiffchaff, everyone.

Most Chiffchaffs that I've checked (I don't grill the wing formula on every one - life's far too short for that!) seem to show evenly spaced primary tips and I think it's the rather longer-looking second primary on this bird that gave the false impression of having longer wings than normal.

Adey

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back