• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (1 Viewer)

Just a couple more sketches from last week that got missed out. A couple of egrets were having a bit of a ding-dong in the shallow scrape so they went in the book. But the bird of the day was a juv hobby tearing at its small bird prey by the side of the access track. I couldn't get too close but it was a great thing to watch, circle of life and all that.

Mike

Others have got there first- so just to add another thumbs up for the flying egrets with the little touch of blue. They look really bright, light and right.

Wonderful drawings Mike! I've never seen a wheatear, though one was rumored around here yesterday, but I have to agree with Jo in the endearing quality of the face-on one.

I spent a good half-day yesterday in the field and that experience, though enjoyable, reminds me of just how good these are!

Went out Sunday to a very, very quiet Elmley. The only thing of real note was a group of six marsh harriers all hanging in the wind and circling what must have been some potential food item. They were distant but it's pretty good to have a scopeful of marshies!

I've taken a bit of a leap in the dark and done a large scale painting on mdf I wanted something with a bit of impact and the style is a sort of mid-way hybrid between the very loose stuff and the very detailed.

Mike

Attachments

• harriers6.jpg
    harriers6.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 44
  • too-late-lo.jpg
    too-late-lo.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 81
Amongst many other things I like about this painting is the slight blurring on the peregrine's wingtips which gives a real impression of movement.

How big is it?

Amongst many other things I like about this painting is the slight blurring on the peregrine's wingtips which gives a real impression of movement.

How big is it?

The wingtip blurring is a device wholly influenced by Andy Ellis, he's the real master.

It's about 3'x2' which is a pretty grand scale by my standards!

Glad you guys like it anyways. I'm fairly pleased with it, and it's got a potential buyer who's asked for first refusal already.

Onwards to the next!

Mike

Good stuff as ever from the 'House of Woody', specially love the curved action of the wings...and the stare........which says it all

Very nice Mike. When I read about your extra commuting, as Arthur mentioned, it sounded horrible. But maybe that extra time in transportation gives you time to consider extra leaps in your work? I don't envy you the commute but the work is developing beautifully. What a great sense of birds in flight you have!

Cheers guys. The extra commute hasn't started yet (14th Dec I think) but when it does it's going to mean me cycling in central London. I hope I don't catch sight of any interesting birds 'cos if I take my eye off the ball for a split second anything could happen!

I just varnished the pere/lappy this afternoon so I'm now considering the next. Right now though I'm off to watch my daughter on stage in 'Hairspray!'

:t::king:

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back