• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Friendly Red-breasted Nuthatch (1 Viewer)

AlanFrench

I feed the birds all year. Last summer a male Red-breasted Nuthatch kept landing on the feeder as I filled it. One day I held out a handful of mixed seed first. He quickly landed on my hand, carefully picked out a peanut piece, and flew off.

So I bought a bag of shelled peanuts and started putting peanuts on the back deck's railing every day at 3 p.m. He quickly became one of the regular diners. If I was late, he'd fly by the sliding glass doors a few times, and was quite happy to take offerings of peanut halves from my hand. He started showing up at odd hours campaigning for peanuts.

Late in the fall he disappeared. I was thrilled when he showed up again about two weeks ago, eager for peanuts. He has once again become a regular.

I've hand tamed Chickadees in the past and one White-breasted Nuthatch, but they required time and patience. This is the second Red-breasted Nuthatch who has immediately embraced hand offered seed. Both preferred peanut pieces.

It's a lot of fun having such a friend.

Clear skies, Alan

Attachments

• Pick a Peanut SM.jpg
    Pick a Peanut SM.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 30
It's a great feeling when this happens. I once had a hummer land on my finger while I was holding the feeder in my hand. Nice capture Alan!

Yes, it is - a real treat.

The hummers don't mind when I'm sitting on the deck near the feeder, but I've never enjoyed a personal visit. Nice!

I did have one go the wrong way when I opened the sliding glass door. She (Ruby-throated) flew into the dining room and hovered by a window, looking out. I cupped my hands around her and took her outside. She had unkind words for me.

Clear skies, Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back