• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

video editing desktop system (1 Viewer)

Bill2468

Looking for a new desktop system. One that is able to handle video editing. I have been considering a barebones system (put it together from parts of choice). Any recomendations regarding a mother board, chip and video card?
Looking for the most but for the least. Any recomendations on importance of speed of chip and memory? Does editing from digital video have the same requirments as from analog video?

BiLL :bounce: :bounce: o:) :bounce: :bounce:

Andrew Rowlands said:
Hi Bill,

I've built some; 2 dual Xeons - (expensive) and several AMD based - (budget). You get to do more homework and tweaking to get the cheaper machines to work ;-)

A good place to start is http://www.videoguys.com/DIY.html

Andy.
Been looking at some refurbed sony via studio desktops Intel based. I bought a jvc dvd player refurbed and its great a panasonic wet dry razor refurbed no problem. The sony is at pc mall (where I bought the dvd player)
I keep thinking and sinking! :eek!:

Bill,

Do yourself a favour and just buy a Mac - it will come with everything that you need (so long as you get one with what Apple call a Superdrive) to create and burn DVD's...

Suitable eMacs are only a few hundred dollars and the now supeseded iMac should be available at pretty good prices too.

For blazing speed and lots of expandability a G5 is hard to beat....

And of course they all come with rock solid Unix (aka OSX) as standard

Good luck

John Fleet

I've used and still use a Sony VAIO "Digital Studio" since '01 running XP,1.6 GHz P4,80GB HD(15Gig FAT32/65Gig NTFS) used Windows Movie Maker,Roxio's EZ CD & DVD Creator,Ripped and burned audio and video to DVD.I do have a Linux box also but I'm new to the OS,but I do know that Windows has more applications available than either Mac or Linux,too many hardware and software compatibility issues to overcome if you use the latter.Just my thoughts on the matter as a satisfied Windows XP user.

Cheers,
Phil

Hello Phil!

I have narowed things down to either a refurbed Sony PCV-RS410 P4 2.6 gig 256 mb memory 120gig hd dvd-rw/cd-rw 56k modem net work card and windows xp home for about $600.00. OR a new HP Pavilion a620n with amd athlon xp 3200+ 512 mem combo burner like on sony 160 gif hd 9 in 1 reader 2 fire wires 7 usb 2.0 networking interface and modem for about $700.00.

Is there a reason that gaming machines are never mentioned as good for video editing (they are high speed)?

BiLL :h?:

Your wasting your time and money on a refurb, you need a machine built and optimized for the job, it is unlikely that someone could build this from parts without allot of knowledge on how everything will work together. The processor, memory, drives, audio and graphics all need to work together without any loss of data, this way the video frames will not be skipped and quality lost SteveClark and JohnFleet are right get a Mac with as higher spec as you can afford. You can buy Adobe Premier for both platforms though Finalcut Pro is only available on the Mac, this package has re-captured the attention of the industry who buy high end G5 Macs to run this software. Though Movie Maker which comes with some Macs is adequate for the amateur.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back