• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Updated/Revised Pentax PR 65 Spotting Scope (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
I thought this might be of some interest to some here about the Pentax PR 65 that was released back in 2013 in Europe but as yet to be sold here in the states. Last month before I decided to find a dealer in Europe that would sell/ship one to me here in the states, I called RICOH Imaging America. The person who finally took my call had no knowledge of the new release. When I called back a second time, the same person then acknowledged the newer version of the Pentax PF ED but said it was not available to be purchased here in the states. I asked the same person if they were ever going to be available here in the U.S.? the same person at RICOH Imaging America did not know. Well I have one now, shipped from Germany....... It arrived in a much larger box then my original Pentax 65 PF . Also the packaging in the box that protected the scope was a lot better because it came snugged in a rigid foam base/with a foam top similar to the way the Celestron Regal/M2 were packaged. As far as the scopes body, it looks like a Pentax PF series on Steroids. I do not have the Pentax PF EDAII any longer, so I can not put them side by side but my first reaction was man someone really over fed this scope. I say this in a positive way, the Pentax PR is built like a Tank. Even the Black Rubber Armouring has been improved giving a nicer look with a much tougher feel. Besides the new look one other obvious change is the newer upgraded dual focusing wheel, providing a smooth turning action unlike what I have experienced with the Celestron Regal/M2 spotting scopes. Also the spec's now say Argon-purged. I have posted a picture with a ruler. It looks a little bigger in the photo but actually with out the heavy duty rubber objective cap on it measures about 11 inches in length with the objective cap on bringing it to 11-1/8th. This specimen is clean(spotless), inside tube well darkened with nice lens coating's with the spec' stating FBMC( fully balanced multicoated) with 5 pieces for the Objective - 2 pieces being ED. The ocular port along with the mounting foot also seem to be a little beafyer made. One other note, no where on the scope body itself is it stated where it is made though it does have what appears to be a serial number on the under side of the body. Also on the box it says RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S FRANCE . The original PF ED had made in Japan. The only eyepieces I have on hand now are my Nikon eyepieces but I will have a Pentax XW20 available to try with this scope at the end of the week. I will comment back later about how this scope performs. I have always thought the Pentax XW20 eyepiece used in combination with the original Pentax PF ED series brought the Pentax 65 to another level. Assuming I did not get a defective scope, I know the XW20 eyepiece will show if this scope is a Winner or a Dud.

Attachments

• DSC02682.JPG
    DSC02682.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
Nice one, Gwen, are you addicted to buying and selling scopes? youv'e been through quite a few while Iv'e been a forum member. lol. Looking forward to your review when you get some EPs. I have a PF65ED and to be honest I can't fault it, for a 65mm, it's a cracker. It's a pity you don't have the PF65 for a side by side comparison.

Nice one, Gwen, are you addicted to buying and selling scopes? youv'e been through quite a few while Iv'e been a forum member. lol. Looking forward to your review when you get some EPs. I have a PF65ED and to be honest I can't fault it, for a 65mm, it's a cracker. It's a pity you don't have the PF65 for a side by side comparison.

Its funny that you should ask that question. It was not until after 1998 the year I had retired, that my fixation with wanting to try all the different brands of optics really kicked in. Before 1998 I recall there not being many outlets where you could actually drive to see any new products come on the market and just as few who had any really good return policy for returns. It was not until Cabelas came to be that changed all that with their early catalog mailings at least for me. It was back in the late 50's when I purchased my first pair of binoculars that got me hooked. Now with access to the world wide internet a new purchase is but a click away. We are no longer restricted to only seeing new products from selected outdoor publications at magazine stores. Now its a lot easier to see and read about all the new improvements in the world of optics. When I was young and still working, I neither had the time or the Xtra disposable income to make as many purchases as I do today. Now with not having all those financial burdens I had while I was raising a family, being retired the only problem I am having is making sure I make all those buying/selling purchases before I take a dirt nap.

Looking forward to your review when you get some EPs. I have a PF65ED and to be honest I can't fault it, for a 65mm, it's a cracker.

I received the Pentax XW20 eyepiece two days earlier, so I have had some time to think about how the newly revised 2013 Pentax PR - 65 ED version looks/performs/handles when compared to the older model of the Pentax 65 - EDA II ... Wow very impressive. I have owned 3 of the Pentax PF - 65 EDAII scopes over the years, with numerous different eyepieces. Of all of those eyepieces, I have always found the Pentax XW14 and XW20 eyepieces to be the pinnacle of the best types of fixed low to medium eyepieces to be used with the Pentax PF - 65 scopes. Now having a chance to view the newer version of the Pentax PR - ED with the Pentax XW20(my favorite) in my opinion the newly revised Pentax PR - ED delivered every bit of optical performance that any of my former Pentax PF - 65 EDA II's did and more by making the obvious improvements as seen in the Photo ....... The dual focusing, enhances the ability to get the sharpest view possible. The new redesigned body. The more robust rubber armor covering, that gives the impression that the scope can take any kind of jolt or bump. Also the objective end cap is now made up of a pliable heavy duty rubber, that tightly pushes into the objective to seal out dust/water. Plus the scope body is now Argon-Purged, the older version is nitrogen purged. When viewing/handling optical equipment, many especially here on this form see/experience things differently from each other. My opinion is ... The Pentax PR - ED is overall an improvement over the previous Pentax PF - 65 EDII and it looks good to.

Attachments

• DSC02687.JPG
    DSC02687.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 230
Gwen, you are one serious scopaloholic, fair play to you though, if anybody's qualified to give and opinion on scopes it's you, because you've tried them all. lol. The PR65 looks like a nice well built scope, if it's optically better than the PF65, it's a little cracker.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back