• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterfly ID help (1 Viewer)

smallish

Hi! I'm new to studying and identifying butterflies. I recently bought a pinned butterfly from a local store, but I'm beginning to think it was mislabeled. I looked at my usual sources for identification, but I didn't have any luck. Hopefully you all can help me.

Here are some pictures:
IMG-0875.jpg IMG_9048.jpg

The label is Dynastor sp. The company who pins these butterflies does beautiful work, but I've bought one that was mislabeled before. Let me know if this butterfly really is mislabeled or if I'm just imagining things. Thanks!

Thank you! It’s so nice to have this mystery solved. Next time I go to the store I’m going to ask where they’re getting their butterflies. It’s strange to me that they’ve had two mislabeled so far.

Thank you! It’s so nice to have this mystery solved. Next time I go to the store I’m going to ask where they’re getting their butterflies. It’s strange to me that they’ve had two mislabeled so far.

Either farmed just to put in frames or wild caught for the same reason, they'd seem to be the only two options to me?

A

I assumed farmed, but I'm curious about the company that they work with. I want to make sure they're following ethical practices and that the store knows that there's a labeling issue.

I assumed farmed, but I'm curious about the company that they work with. I want to make sure they're following ethical practices and that the store knows that there's a labeling issue.

What can be your ethical concerns, they're raised, killed then framed?

If you're happy to keep buying them in the knowledge that this is the process, I can't see many variables with the care of an insect?

A

I don't find taxidermy to be unethical, though I can understand why others might. However, respectable butterfly taxidermists actually help fund research, conservation, and repopulation efforts. I prefer to buy locally, but if the store's source for the butterflies isn't reputable, I'll use an online store that I know to have ethical practices and labels their butterflies correctly. At any rate, I'm not sure why my interests concern you.

I don't find taxidermy to be unethical, though I can understand why others might. However, respectable butterfly taxidermists actually help fund research, conservation, and repopulation efforts. I prefer to buy locally, but if the store's source for the butterflies isn't reputable, I'll use an online store that I know to have ethical practices and labels their butterflies correctly. At any rate, I'm not sure why my interests concern you.

That's a stupid thing to say when all I did was answer in relation to your comments about ethics etc, I have no interest in you or you interests.

People don't have an issue with taxidermy generally unless the animals are being killed for that exact purpose.

Work your own ID's out in future.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back