• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello - can you help with bird indent? (1 Viewer)

lanie77

I photographed these chaps earlier - I'm sorry they're from the back, they were a long way away, and refused to fly towards me.
They looked to be bigger than egrets, maybe even as large as herons. They were standing in long grass on marshland, and only flew short distances before settling again

Attachments

• 197 (1024x768).jpg
    197 (1024x768).jpg
    513.3 KB · Views: 137
Can't see much in the photo, I'm afraid. The obvious candidate large heron would be Grey heron, but these seem a little too dark, with no contrast in color along the wing.

Did you see the shape of the birds well? Were they long-legged and long-necked? If so, did you notice any contrasting white patches, especially on the flanks? Any color on the beak or the legs? A fun possibility would be Black Stork.

From the photo, I wouldn't rule out Ravens...

I couldn't see them clearly until they flew as they were in long grass, but I would guess that the grass at least 18" tall and I could only just see the birds heads above the grass.
When they flew, they seemed to 'lope' a bit like herons taking off. They were definitely not common uk herons, as they seemed to be black (or very dark) all over.
I wish I could have seen them closer (or face on). Sorry I'm not much help.

OK, so around half the size of a grey heron... can't think of much besides raven that would work. Behavior doesn't sound like cormorants...

Carrion Crows for me, though Rook also possible. Tails not long / heavy enough for Ravens; and definitely Corvus of some sort.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back