• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

January 1st joint BF effort? (1 Viewer)

I might be the sole contributor from Aus, and my year total (as I only got up about an hour ago!) is still only four, but I will head out later as it cools down and walk around the block to hopefully add about 50 or so species to the grand total.

What a big planet and international board....

Don't have to go international for massive contrast - I'm currently in the same fair land as you ....but lying in tee-shirt and shorts and still rather hot ;) Temperature for tomorrow 27 C (close to 80 F I think). Sadly I be back in temperatures below freezing all too soon.

What a big planet and international board. As soon as it cools down!

We have an arctic freeze warning here thanks to those Canadians swarming just over the boarder! o:D

Though I wouldn't mind being at Point Pelee tomorrow :)
If it's any consolation I'm looking forward to the winter already.;)

7 species so far:
1) Great Tit
2) Rook
3) Magpie
4) Jackdaw
5) Wood-pigeon
6) Feral Pigeon
7) Hooded Crow

Weather looks bad over here; cloudy and grey; yesterday it was nice and sunny; at first I was waiting for sun to come out but then got distracted by watching a "Wild France" episode on TV with multitudes of birds.

Well I can contribute 2 species for the UK so far:

blue tit
house sparrow

Given the weather in this part of the world, if I go out later I'll be heading for somewhere with bird hides and coffee, so don't expect anything exotic from me...

My 1st 3 species were Knot.. which I saw about 8000 of, taking evasive action... the 1st object bombing over the water was a Cormorant and the 2nd a Peregrine

About to take the dogs out so I'll see if I can add anything useful!

For the UK I can add:
Black Headed Gull
Blackbird
Blue Tit
Canada Goose
Carrion Crow
Coot
Dunnock
Gadwall
Great Tit
Grey Heron
Jay
Magpie
Mallard
Mute Swan
Pochard
Red Kite
Redwing
Reed Bunting
Starling
Common Teal
Tufted Duck

Fairly dismal conditions out there! My plan would have been to walk all around the local area and aim for 60 -70 species. Used the car instead and up to about 30 now instead, with a few good sw species for the uk list hopefully. Would have been a lot better yesterday though. Bit of breakfast and then out again shortly ... hopefully the low cloud will go away even if the winds don't.

Took about an hour's walk today from home and got the following. The first several were from before I left the house:

Rainbow Lorikeet.
Pied Imperial Pigeon.
Figbird.
Spangled Drongo.
Mistletoebird.
Olive-backed Sunbird.
Common Mynah.
Varied Triller,
Peaceful Dove.
Yellow Honeyeater.
White-breasted Woodswallow.
Yellow Oriole.
Magpie Lark.
Australian Brush Turkey.
White-bellied Cuckoo Shrike.
Metallic Starling.
Pacific Baza.
Helmeted Friarbird.
Cicadabird.
Rainbow Bee-eater.
Collared Kingfisher.
Radjah Shelduck.
Brown Honeyeater.
Pacific Black Duck.
Feral Pigeon.
Eastern Great Egret.
Emerald Dove.
Willy Wagtail.
Large-billed Gerygone.
Brown-backed Honeyeater.
Little Egret.
Royal Spoonbill.
Little Black Cormorant.
Welcome Swallow.
Magpie Goose.
Australian White Ibis.
Masked Lapwing.
Dusky Honeyeater.
Scaly-breasted Lorikeet
Hardhead - good one this; first on the Lakes for bloody ages.
Darter
House Sparrow.
Spotted Turtle Dove.

43 species all seen/heard within the bounds of my city block; a bit disappointing but I only walked for about an hour, it was still seriously hot and humid and there were hordes of people enjoying the lakes along with me. How inconsiderate of them...;)

Seriously large number of ridiculously common species still to see; where on earth have the Scrubfowls gone?! I'd bet my house on them cackling in the forest just after midnight normally, making them first bird of the year usually. Normally trip up over them as they bumble around the lakes on their huge feet.

Might start a 'city block' rather than garden list this year, mainly because I don't have a garden...

Last edited:
I'm on 30 - perhaps only Brent goose and Rock Pipit will be of much use to the combined effort (plus common shore waders)

I'm also pi$$ed wet through and cold/stiff

Might post full list up later, but of interest for now I guess Purple Sandpiper, Whimbrel, Black-throated Diver and a few commoner seabirds might be handy. Yesterday would have been able to add Black Redstart, Grey Phalarope, Balearic Shearwater and RN Grebe! There's still time, but not so hopeful ... Off out to try and get Bittern and Scaup ... think they may prove awkward too though ...

Team Germany, well at least my part in it is suffering, but just on the way home I saw the following;
Common Blackbird, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Common Magpie, Carrion Crow, Western Jackdaw, Common Buzzard, Common Kestrel and Common Wood Pigeon. I know most of you guys see more taking a quick glance out of the window, but I'll go for a walk later to clear the Glen Morangie out of my head, but first a cup of tea...what a wimp!!

Well I can't match horizontal hail in terms of weather, but my main goal for today was to make sure I beat last year's dismal 28 species for new years day. And I've only matched it, so I have to either give up or go back out.

Anyway, goosander and marsh tit may be useful for the total. I'll have a look back through the other UK posts, as a way of postponing any decision about whether to give today up as a bad job...

Almost forgot - a few Red-crested pochard as well. I think I'm close enough to the cotswold water park to assume they're tickable.

Right, here's the current list for team UK, based on alan_rymer's list, plus the other species people have mentioned so far, plus the rest of what I saw this morning. Only 43 so far - anyone in the UK who's seen something that's not on the list, please mention it, even if it's ridiculously common. If you have a moment to cut-and-paste the list and add your species to it, that would help others keep track of what's already been reported.

Black Headed Gull
Black-throated Diver
Blackbird
Blue Tit
Brent Goose
Canada Goose
Carrion Crow
Coot
Cormorant
Dunnock
Feral Pigeon
Gadwall
Goosander
Great Crested Grebe
Great Tit
Grey Heron
House Sparrow
Jackdaw
Jay
Knot
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Magpie
Mallard
Marsh Tit
Moorhen
Mute Swan
Peregrine
Pochard
Purple Sandpiper
Red-crested Pochard
Red Kite
Redwing
Reed Bunting
Robin
Rock Pipit
Shoveler
Starling
Common Teal
Tufted Duck
Whimbrel
Wigeon
Woodpigeon
Wren

I am on zero - unbelievable, although I did hear something call a Blackbird probably. I am going out for lunch soon so might see something (rain)

Here my list from this morning
1 Redwing
2 Great Tit
3 Blackbird
4 Blue Tit
5 Dunnock
6 Blackcap
7 Robin
8 Woodpigeon
9 Greenfinch
The weather is awful heavy rain and blustry winds and as not stopped was hoping to get out later today but can not see that happening.

I've been for a short walk and added Common Chaffinch, Grey Heron, Long tailed Tit and Fieldfare to my miserable list. The weather is beautiful here with clear blue skies and 8°C. I can't get out to my local lake till tomorrow, it takes too long and it will be dark before I could walk around it so I will be doing that tomorrow if the weather holds.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back