• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New FREE Raw conversion software. (1 Viewer)

I thought I'd just let 98-users know so as not to bother trying to download it - as you know, you have to give them your email address first so I'll be getting all the update info from them (of course they might tell me they've upgraded to support 98 as well!)

I've not tried any RAW yet - so far the only camera I've had with RAW has been the Oly 5060 which I never tried. I'm hoping(!) to get a 20D within the next couple of weeks so I'll have to see how the supplied Canon Raw conversion software gets on with 98

Andy I think I am out of my depth here,I thought you could just open a folder of pictures and work from them.

POP

Adey Baker said:
I thought I'd just let 98-users know so as not to bother trying to download it - as you know, you have to give them your email address first so I'll be getting all the update info from them (of course they might tell me they've upgraded to support 98 as well!)

I've not tried any RAW yet - so far the only camera I've had with RAW has been the Oly 5060 which I never tried. I'm hoping(!) to get a 20D within the next couple of weeks so I'll have to see how the supplied Canon Raw conversion software gets on with 98
To be honest, imho life's too short for RAW, especially in bird photography... rather have more shots on the card/larger buffer/speed and less hassles in-computer. A decently exposed high quality jpg is more than enough for 99% of uses.
By the sound of it, about the only people who can comfortably use Nikon D2x Neff's with Nikon''s capture software are Bill Gates and NASA ;)

POP said:
Andy you have convinced me I will stick to Adobe.

POP

Ditto! I'm hoping to get the new Canon macro lens as well so there'll be no more funds in the kitty for lots of memory cards for a while so jpegs are going to be my only realistic option anyway!

Andy Bright said:
To be honest, imho life's too short for RAW, especially in bird photography... rather have more shots on the card/larger buffer/speed and less hassles in-computer. A decently exposed high quality jpg is more than enough for 99% of uses.

Spot on Andy, I used RAW for quite some time, life is much easier since I switched back to JPGs. The only time I regret not using RAW mode is when I want to correct a very badly exposed photo.

I have been using the RAW shooter software for a few weeks and find it works well---tonight my system crashed during a thunderstorm, power cut while I was using it and when I went back to restart the programme there was no response---I removed it and reinstalled from a download but still nothing so eventually I went to the Pixmantec web site where there is a fix which clears the sytem after unusual shut downs---all very efficient and its now up and running again---nice to find a firm which backs up their product even when giving it away free---

Andy Bright said:
By the sound of it, about the only people who can comfortably use Nikon D2x Neff's with Nikon''s capture software are Bill Gates and NASA ;)

Andy: In good light I would not disagree, but the great advantage of RAW is that if you get the white balance off, it's dead easy to fix on the PC. This is especially true for the sort of pictures I take in dark forests, and on overcast days where the light can be well different from direct sunlight. RAW also has the advantage that more information in shadows and highlights is preserved so contrast masking is possible. MInd you, not many people spend their spare time photographing mushrooms and slime mounds ...

Leif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back