• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malta ( considering a warm break any good areas) (1 Viewer)

hocko

I know it a sore point going to malta. It is cheap and Warm. Anygood areas to visit mid may not really for looking any must see speices. Regards Ian

There are far better and cheaper places to go to in the Mediterranean area than Malta and until things change there I`d recommend that birders boycott the place, unless you`re taking part in a Birdlife Malta survey etc.

I know it a sore point going to malta. It is cheap and Warm. Anygood areas to visit mid may not really for looking any must see speices. Regards Ian

hello Hocko,

As a local maltese birdwatcher I would be more than happy to help you out with your visit and to make the most of it

Visit my website for more information. I am sure you will find it useful:

www.birdinginmalta.com

If you need any help either ask me here of you can contact me via our website's email

Best Regards
skylark25

There are far better and cheaper places to go to in the Mediterranean area than Malta and until things change there I`d recommend that birders boycott the place, unless you`re taking part in a Birdlife Malta survey etc.

Snowcap, I can assure you that the situation has improved alot in recent years and less birds are getting illegaly shot each year. Yes of corse there is alot of improvement yet to be acheived but we are arriving there. I remind you that illegalities happen in every country and Malta is no exception. As far as my knowlegde is concerned all Mediterranean countries have problems with illegal hunting and trapping including Sardinia, Cyprus, France, Spain. Lebanon and Italy.

I don't agree that birders should boycott Malta. By doing that you aren't really solving the situation. Actually, it is better to come and show your support. Come to Malta, have a great time and write in our newspapers telling the public that if the situation comes for the best, Malta can become a great tourist destination for eco-tourism and birdwatching!

Malta can be a great place to bird watch. Situated in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea our birding calender is dominated by migration. On some days migration is not really evident. A few hours or a change in weather and everything can change with plenty of migrants coming in making it very exiciting.

An advantage also is that Malta is relatively small in size meaning it is easy to get around the island. For example, you can spend the morning seawatching, then visit both reserves in the afternoon and visit another area of your choice in the evening to make the most of a day and the species every site offers. Also Malta is very rich in History and we also have the sea and sunshine so one can easily come for a visit and combine a holiday with a bit of birding, and enjoy other cultural and leisure activities too:t:

Last edited:
hello Hocko,

As a local maltese birdwatcher I would be more than happy to help you out with your visit and to make the most of it

Visit my website for more information. I am sure you will find it useful:

www.birdinginmalta.com

If you need any help either ask me here of you can contact me via our website's email

Best Regards
skylark25

I strongly recommend having a look at skylark's webpage (see also other thread on this topic) as it is a first rate effort,

Snowcap, I can assure you that the situation has improved alot in recent years and less birds are getting illegaly shot each year. Yes of corse there is alot of improvement yet to be acheived but we are arriving there. I remind you that illegalities happen in every country and Malta is no exception. As far as my knowlegde is concerned all Mediterranean countries have problems with illegal hunting and trapping including Sardinia, Cyprus, France, Spain. Lebanon and Italy.

I don't agree that birders should boycott Malta. By doing that you aren't really solving the situation. Actually, it is better to come and show your support. Come to Malta, have a great time and write in our newspapers telling the public that if the situation comes for the best, Malta can become a great tourist destination for eco-tourism and birdwatching!

Malta can be a great place to bird watch. Situated in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea our birding calender is dominated by migration. On some days migration is not really evident. A few hours or a change in weather and everything can change with plenty of migrants coming in making it very exiciting.

An advantage also is that Malta is relatively small in size meaning it is easy to get around the island. For example, you can spend the morning seawatching, then visit both reserves in the afternoon and visit another area of your choice in the evening to make the most of a day and the species every site offers. Also Malta is very rich in History and we also have the sea and sunshine so one can easily come for a visit and combine a holiday with a bit of birding, and enjoy other cultural and leisure activities too:t:

The situation has also definitely improved in the Balearics, we had lots of trapping and ilegal hunting here not that long ago (still some). Most of the effort has been done by the locals, but the many birding visitors (and the money they spend) have helped a lot change the general attitude too.
I believe the situation in Malta would definitely get better if a similar number of birders visited that wonderful island. Changes won't happen immediately, but it will help many unconcerned locals to understand the benefits, and that is a major step here.
Attitude changes develop very slowly in the Mediterranean but can be expected if well addressed...

I believe the situation in Malta would definitely get better if a similar number of birders visited that wonderful island. Changes won't happen immediately, but it will help many unconcerned locals to understand the benefits, and that is a major step here.
Attitude changes develop very slowly in the Mediterranean but can be expected if well addressed...

Agreed Motmot:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back