• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sad (1 Viewer)

rose taylor

morning all,
I re-did the pots for summer on Monday and as I lifted one of the shelf pots which is metal, I dropped it. Now I feel really awful because there was a slow worm under the pot and when I dropped it it landed on the tail end of the slow worm and took about one and a half inches off the end. I feel bad, but can anyone tell me, will the tail regrow? I know that slow worms are actually lizards (Yes?) and lizards tails re grow so I hope this poor thing will get a new tail. Just as a btw, the tail squirmed for quite some time after it was severed!
Rose.

I'm sure the tail will actually grow back a bit, if not, the Slowworm will survive....Lizards as you probably know release there tails as an escape tactic and if I remember corectly Slowworms do this also.....

Funny you should mention Slow Worms, Pat. My friend came today with two in a jar that her cats had brought in, so I said release them in my garden, I grabbed the camera to take a pic but they vanished so fast into the grass I wasn't quick enough.:smoke:
She said if her cats catch any more, she'll bring them to me.
They both had their tails so the cats didn't harm them, yes they do lose their tails as a defense mechanism.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back