• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sichuan Birding (14 Viewers)

I’m home in Dujiangyan, between trips – have just completed 13 days in Qinghai and the day after tomorrow will turn around and head back west.
Best not tell how many birds we saw – lest I incur the wrath of other posters – but on this trip the most outstanding species included an immature Pallas’s Fish Eagle on a roadside lake (G214) to the south of Madoi and around 8 singing male Tibetan Buntings in the Kande Pass area (Tibetan Babax were found in the gorge area that leads to pass).
Also spent time in Xinghai area (35°35'19.01"N 99°59'16.68"E) where we found arid habit on the road that leads SE out of the town, towards the Yellow River, that gave fairly easy Desert Finch, Pied Wheatear, and Daurian Partridge – birds that we have found more difficult at sites such as Beishan park in Xining City. At around 3 hours from Xining and 2 hours from the Erla Pass – with at least 2 decent hotels – it makes for a useful stop.
This year we managed to avoid the primitive trucker stops, and their less than popular communal hole in the floor toilets, that have become infamous during Erla Pass visits, by using a newly opened hotel with en-suite sit-down WC’s and showers at Heka (35°53'47.63"N 99°59'23.82"E) – 1.5 hours south of the Erla Pass, these luxuries mean you have to swap the horror toilets for an hour’s earlier start after Tibetan Sandgrouse – which, for many birders, is an easy choice.

Yesterday I was looking at Roland’s list from a trip where he was birding the Jiuzhaigou area over July 4th, 5th and 6th. Interesting to note that in the park they saw Rufous-headed Robin (although a very poor and brief view for just a few of the party) and around Reed Lake a Tawny Fish Owl. Outside the park Per David’s Owl and Chinese Grouse were seen.

While in Qinghai it was interesting to read comments on other boards that were focused on this thread. To those I’d like to add my own –

1 – I hope this thread is perceived not just as an advertisement for my business but for other aspects of Sichuan birding – whether that involves my own projects, those of fellow guides, birders coming on organized tours or independent birders. Since I also have a life away from birding and am not the most energetic of extensive report writers some of information given may well sway towards the vague rather than highly detailed – but even a description like ‘north of Baxi’ has a use if you have a guide book that tells you the kind of habitat you need to find for the birds in question. The MacKinnon handbook may have its detractors but the habitat descriptions of many species are quite reliable. Google earth is also handy in focusing closer onto some of the areas I mention.

2 –a small and friendly community of birders has built up around the China Forum, where I think most of us realize the uses, limitations and potential dangers of this form of public networking. This particular thread has brought to notice sites that were formerly never part of the mainstream Sichuan birding circuit – Longcanggou being one, while this year at least three groups birded the Old Erlang Road. Post readers who’ve found access instructions to various sites vague, or want current info on certain birds or birding sites, often query each other in private by Birdforum PM or Email. I’ve both helped and been helped a lot via communication with birdforum contacts – but of course reserve the right to withhold info for birds that I believe vulnerable to disturbance. I’d recommend any China birder to use this form of information seeking – especially since the pace of tourist and other developments often leads major reports to be very quickly outdated.

3 – Lastly the poster who described my posts as self-aggrandizing has made fair comment – after all unless you’re a rabid lister who cares very little of how you get your bird as long as you get it, part of the enjoyment of birding must be the hunt. If each bird could equate to a trophy very few of us choose to hide their prizes under the bed – part of our sport is the gentle boasting over our lists and number of rare birds seen. If that’s seen as self-aggrandizing so be it – but at least in the process of blowing my own horn I must also be advertising the present quality of West of China birding, which, in the light of trying to increase an awareness of rich Chinese avian biodiversity, can’t be a totally bad thing????

Last edited:
I would also be very interested to hear about other Grey-bellied Tesia records from Sichuan. I had no previous experience with this species but compared to the pictures on OBI (which may not properly reflect the bird) the eye-brow seemed more bright-buffy to me above the base of the bill.

This is one of my favourite threads to follow on birdforum, helping me not to forget, that I HAVE to go back there. I missed out on too many good birds, when I wasn't allowed up on the plateau.

I would also be very interested to hear about other Grey-bellied Tesia records from Sichuan. I had no previous experience with this species but compared to the pictures on OBI (which may not properly reflect the bird) the eye-brow seemed more bright-buffy to me above the base of the bill.
Hi Ben - just looked through China Bird Talker and all the records I could find there were from Southern Yunnan and Guangxi.
Since the recordings Roland made certainly sound an excellent match for those at Xeno Canto any differences to bird you observed to OBC images could mean a different ssp.
I'll send the sighting to Wu Jiawei of Chengdu Birdwatching Society to see if they have any Sichuan records

Last edited:

Attachments

• Ebian County.JPG
    Ebian County.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Hi all, does anybody have any information on the current status of the road from Dujiangyan to Wolong? Roland tipped me off as to some good spots to visit there, so I was pretty disappointed to hear on arriving in China a rumour that the road is closed to all but emergency travel until September. If so I'll have to make alternative plans.
Thanks

Ed

Hi Ed - I'm in Qinghai and Roland's in Germany - so difficult to get current info. I'll PM you Zeng Zhang's number (he's in Chengdu) and you can call him to phone up friends in Wolong to ask on current road status.
If you're relying on public transport its going to be pretty difficult - I think they've stopped the buses that were running earlier this year after the first bad landslides in June.
If you have your own transport there's always a chance of getting through if you drive very early in the morning - but you need something with decent ground clearance.
There's always the alternative route via Baoxing and then up to Rilong - but I have no real idea how you'd do this with public transport other than probably having to catch a public bus to Baoxing and from there private mini-busses that go over the pass towards Rilong (maybe you could hire a minibus or car for around 500RMB to take you over the pass and then easily find a minibus/car to take you onto Rilong???).
best of luck
Sid

Last edited:
Hi Ed!
Just called a friend in Dujiangyan. At the moment no landslide or road closure is reported. But, because of high risk of falling rocks or landslides, public transport into Wolong and toward Rilong is suspended during rainy season.
It should be possible to hire a minivan or get a group taxi from the junction in Yingxiu (映秀, avoid to stand next to the mobile traffic police cabin placed there!). It also might be possible to get a lift from the expressway toll gate in Dujiangyan West (Yutang) straight into Wolong or Gengda.
Good luck

The tesia is interesting occurring so far north - I find it amazing that it has gone unnoticed all this time given how conspicuous they are when singing, perfect habitat though so perhaps they've come up from the deep gorges away from the trail for some reason. I've had them previously further south in Sichuan - Laojunshan which has several birds at the upper limits of their range but rare (but present) at Emei, ie Black-headed Sibia.

James

Hi Sid, Roland,

Thanks very much for your help with this. With your news Roland, and having spoken to Zeng Zhang I think the situation looks promising. Usually my girlfriend's family in Pengzhou very kindly and insistently chauffeur me places, even though I'd happily take the bus to spare them the burden, but they consider the road to Wolong as very dangerous and off-limits. They dropped me off once, and I felt terrible as they definitely found the road scary! So I'll hear from Zeng Zhang again tomorrow, and I think he said I could arrange something with him, but if not a group taxi from Yingxiu sounds good.

Ed

Somehow missed the updates to this thread. Thanks for the info regarding the Tesia. I discussed this record with Paul Holt and he has recorded it at Emei Shan before. Cool stuff.

Glad to report I made it to Wolong for a few days in the end, going with Zengzhang, and returning by ‘shared taxi’. The road didn’t seem any worse or better than the previous times I’ve travelled it.
On the first day the weather was good, and on Balang Pass we got close views of many Himalayan Griffon flying above. The next day was extremely foggy, but despite this Zengzhang managed to find us some murky views of Tibetan Snowcock and Snow Partridge on the highest point of Balang Pass. Tibetan Snowcock calls in the mist definitely evocative. In the clear air of a fog pocket also saw this mustelid.

Thanks

Ed

Attachments

• HimalayanGriffon2.jpg
    HimalayanGriffon2.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 108
  • Mustelid.jpg
    Mustelid.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 125
I did get a blurry shot of it leaping where you can roughly see the paws. Given your comment I went on google to look at weasel feet, and it appears that unlike the Siberian Weasel the Mountain has distinctly pale feet as in the photo, so I guess that was the characteristic you were looking for? Even without the feet it struck me as looking just like a Mountain Weasel.

It was very bold as it passed by and frustratingly I missed many opportunities to get a closer shot as the bugger would bound on just when my camera was focusing...

Thanks

Ed

Attachments

• Leaping.jpg
    Leaping.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 142
You helped me in April & May. Here's the result.

Back in April and May, some of you who regularly use "Sichuan Birding" gave me tips on what was then my forthcoming trip to Sichuan. My partners and I did the trip in June, and now I finally have a report. To read it, go to the Index of Craig's Reports on craigbrelsford.com. "Sichuan & Yunnan, June 2014" is at the top of the list. (You may also go directly to the report by clicking here.)

Summary

The trip got off to a good start at Old Erlang Road. At Lóngcānggōu, within the space of 12 hours, we were caught in a power surge that destroyed $600 worth of my equipment and hit a bump that destroyed the oil pan on our rented Chevy Captiva. Constant rain also inhibited us. Nonetheless, it being breeding season meant that when the weather was good, birds were out in numbers. After visiting Éméishān, we drove non-stop to NW Yunnan. We became some of the first birders to visit the remote Dúlóng Valley.

Highlights

-- In collaboration with Per Alström, finding, photographing, and sound-recording Plain-backed Thrushes at the dramatic Salween-Irrawaddy Divide in the Gāolígòng Mountains

-- In the Dúlóng Valley, finding several species of bird with limited ranges in China, among them Black-eared Shrike-babbler, Lemon-rumped Warbler, Yellow-throated Fulvetta, Scaly Laughingthrush, Rusty-fronted Barwing, Streak-throated Barwing, Beautiful Sibia, Rusty-flanked Treecreeper, Yellow-bellied Flowerpecker, Fire-tailed Sunbird, and Scarlet Finch

-- On the Old Erlang Road, spotting, waiting out, and photographing a rare female Firethroat, as well as photographing and sound-recording a male

-- Finding and photographing a pair of Fire-tailed Myzornis at the Salween-Irrawaddy Divide

-- In total, noting 193 species of bird, representing 12 orders and 45 families (list at bottom of report)

Please enjoy the report and reach me with your questions and comments.

Attachments

• yunnan-itinerary-(云南行程)20140113-22.jpg
    yunnan-itinerary-(云南行程)20140113-22.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back