• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mourning Dove and nestlings in my yard (Boston MA) (1 Viewer)

Cardinal Lozenge

A pair of Mourning Doves have nested in a low (7ft.) tree branch in my backyard (in Boston MA). Their eggs have hatched, and the adult birds continue to "cover" the nestlings almost constantly. From this forum, I've learned that this is normal, and that in a few days the baby's will begin to transfer from pigeon milk to "real" food. From what I gather, adult MDoves eats primarily seeds.

My question: should I scatter some seeds around the tree? If so, what type would be best? If not seeds, a different source of food? OR, should I just continue to observe, and let mom and dad do their work?

Last edited:
Here are some OK pictures of the nest. All were taken from the ground a comfortable distance away. I didn't get any full-body shots, but head, back, and under-tail are fairly clear.

Attachments

• DSCN1998.jpg
    DSCN1998.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCN2125.jpg
    DSCN2125.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCN2211.jpg
    DSCN2211.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCN2212.jpg
    DSCN2212.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCN1994.jpg
    DSCN1994.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 80
Nice photos. In answer to your question, I would just leave them alone; if the adults weren’t getting enough food they wouldn’t have started a nest.

They’re attractive birds, aren’t they? At the moment, I have 2 active Mourning Dove nests on my property, one on a rafter in the front porch (the second so far this season) & one about 8 ft up in a big crabapple. So far I haven’t seen any signs of young in either nest, but the adults have been sitting for a long time & I expect to any day now.

Here’s a photo of the first porch nest taken shortly before the fledging of the young.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/4664921088/

Yes, very attractive birds. And rather tolerant of humans going about their business nearby.

I'll keep out of their way, and just watch. Hopefully I'll get a few good pictures of the whole fam within the next few days.

Thanks for the reply!

Shots from this morning right before the switch. Presumably mom on the nest, and dad on the branch.

Attachments

• DSCN2226.jpg
    DSCN2226.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN2230.jpg
    DSCN2230.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 84
Great photos. They are incredibly diligent and devoted parents. They are wonderful birds who never bother anything or anyone.

Frank Lardino

I’m curious about the nest site, an old nest of some other species (American Robin maybe?). Do you know anything about its history? It looks in pretty good shape, so it was presumably constructed this year.

I’m curious about the nest site, an old nest of some other species (American Robin maybe?). Do you know anything about its history? It looks in pretty good shape, so it was presumably constructed this year.

Great question. I'll tell you what I know...

The nest was definitely built this year- spring, I'd guess, was when I first noticed it. I'm sure that I remember a robin tending to it, as is my mother. Then, apparently suddenly, the nest seemed to be empty, or abandoned. It remained empty for a short few weeks, until I noticed the Doves inhabiting it.

I just presumed that I was remembering wrong about the Robin. Based on your question, I'm now starting to think I was remembering correctly.

Is there something distinct about the nest that gives away the Robin's work?

Is there something distinct about the nest that gives away the Robin's work?

Nothing specific on the basis of what the photos show, but just the general shape & size & the fact that it’s saddled on a branch in typical robin fashion. Once the doves are through with it, you can confirm by checking for the mud lining characteristic of robin nests.

Last edited:
Neither mom nor dad was visibly guarding the nest this evening, and I snapped 2 shots of the babies.

Attachments

• nestlingstoday002.jpg
    nestlingstoday002.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 94
  • nestlingstoday001.jpg
    nestlingstoday001.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 107
Nothing specific on the basis of what the photos show, but just the general shape & size & the fact that it’s saddled on a branch in typical robin fashion. Once the doves are through with it, you can confirm by checking for the mud lining characteristic of robin nests.

I'll definitely be checking it, since my plan is to make soup with it when their done. I'll likely clean out the mud lining first, if it's there.

So, this afternoon, the nest is empty. Just like that. Parents left yesterday (presumably), and today the babies are gone too.

Is this pattern the norm?

So, this afternoon, the nest is empty. Just like that. Parents left yesterday (presumably), and today the babies are gone too.

They may not be gone for good. Sometimes young Mourning Doves (& their parents) return to the nest to roost for the first night or 2 after fledgling

Last edited:
Great photos of the nestlings, and thank you for documenting this nesting behavior! My first thought was, quite atypical for a Mourning Dove... they generally make flimsy nests. I didn't know they could reuse the nest of another bird.

Surprise thread update...

I never got around to making bird's nest soup, so the nest has remained untouched. (Lead in joke, if you will...) Anyway, I'm in my yard often enough, and I always look up at the nest. Today, while outside, I glanced at the nest. To my great surprise, there was an adult Mourning Dove in the nest! She was still there this evening, many hours later.

It has been roughly a month since the previous nestlings took off, as well as the parents. The nest has sat empty since, until today, when this new Dove appeared.

Is this common, or an anomaly? Could this Dove that I saw today be the same one that nested here before? Is that likely? I'm presuming another batch of nestlings, perhaps prematurely. Either way, it was nice to see the nest being used again.

Pictures forthcoming, no doubt:)

They are prolific breeders, with typically 2-3 broods/year, but sometimes as many as six (!).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back