• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iphone Birding Apps (1 Viewer)

AndyK

Just wondered if anyone has any recomendations? Im after an ID so I dont have to carry my collins guide around with me everywhere! Has anyone tried Ibird, tempted to give this a go it looks pretty good?

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ibird-uk-ireland-guide-to/id424729739?mt=8

Also does anyone have any preference with regards to rare bird alert / birdguides, which is better generally & in terms of app performance, thinking of subscribing to one of these next year.

Birdguides alert is prob your best overall bet. I use both when on holiday and it looks to me like Birdguides have a rba pager so are quick to put up any reports that haven't been submitted to them.

And I agree about Birdguides northern birds app it's very handy just wish it covered more species.

A combination of both BirdGuides and iBird UK works well. iBird has a few more calls than BirdGuides which is good.

Really wish BirdGuides would produce a "scarce birds" app as well, as the amount of species covered is fairly limited. To fill in a few gaps you could always get one of the American guides such as Sibley, iBirds Pro or Audubon.

If you're in no real rush I'd recommend hanging on and waiting for a bargain. I bought both of the iBirds and Audubon guides at greatly reduced prices and there's sure to be another offer at some point in the future. :)

Back again!

Anyone have any good iphone listing apps they can reccomend, going to try next years on the phone for convenience.

Back again!

Anyone have any good iphone listing apps they can reccomend, going to try next years on the phone for convenience.

Bird Journal is pretty good and does the basics. Though I'm hoping BTO will pull their finger out and produce BirdTrack for iOS in 2013. :)

I use the iBird apps for iPhone, I started off using IBird explorer Canada then upgraded to iBird pro. I can't speak for the non-NA versions but I think the app is absolutely awesome, well worth it--I got it on sale for $3, down from $30....whoa! If it goes on sale, grab it!

I use both ibird pro and ibird for UK on I touch. Used it extensively when travelling in US and in the UK. Scope, Camera and Collins; something had to give!

Have now downloaded 'Birds of Britain'. It tool a while to come down but does have lots of pictures, great reviews of all the birds and all their songs. I do like the fact you can group them by

resident
summer
winter passing
family

Great bargain i feel to start with at 69p.

I have ibird UK app for my iPad (also available for iPhone). Very very good and they have just had an update with huge improvements and added another 400 photos. Also it was on offer last week for £2 !!!!!! Offer on until June. Unbelievable !!! It has everything you need even birdcall and the facility to input your own photographs. Buy it. You have nothing to lose!!!

Last edited:
I have ibird UK app for my iPad (also available for iPhone). Very very good and they have just had an update with huge improvements and added another 400 photos. Also it was on offer last week for £2 !!!!!! Offer on until June. Unbelievable !!! It has everything you need even birdcall and the facility to input your own photographs. Buy it. You have nothing to lose!!!

Thanks for the heads up on the price reduction, I was debating whether to buy it before, but for £1:99 it's a no brainer

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back