• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I turn off all apps(on android) when abroad? (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
This is all new to me as I have never been abroad since getting our android phones.
We are on contract with limited broadband etc. I realise that if I use this service in France I will be charged for "roaming".......but......
a) should I turn off auto apps ? ......in which case
b) what are auto apps ?
c) would that include the standard weather forecast that changes location
automatically ?

Any other advice would be welcome.
Thanks

If you turn off data roaming that will be fine. You won't then be able to go on line nor will your Apps unless you find a wi-fi hotspot. If you switch to Flight mode that will disable Wi-Fi and stop you using your phone as a phone!

The Data Roaming settings will be somewhere in settings, it depends on your phone. You can safely leave it switched off in the UK as you can only use you home network anyway. Some phones also have an option to switch off mobile data entirely.

As you are going in the EU there is a cap to the maximum you can be charged for roaming data of €50 per month so you won't get one of those horror show bills you read of in the papers. Most providers will sell you a European data package if you wanted to use it, but you need then to keep an eye on your usage as some Apps will consume data out of all proportion to their function.

Last edited:
Be APP free...learn to accept the world without Apps...find that one solace in life while you are birding (whether it is home or abroad) and don't fret about the apps and all that come with it. Leave the virtual stuff behind and enjoy the 'now'...

and check what still works when your data connection is turned off.. you might be left with less than you'd hoped!
Bluebill listing software looks like it works well standalone for overseas logging,
and I'm finding Google Earth stores some map data locally on your device if you browse the area at the right resolution before turning the data off.. Not sure how much data is stored before it overwrites the buffer though.

I have avoided the overseas data bolt on from o2.. 150MB.. I'm pretty sure my phone and tablet would consume that much just by turning the things on! I have an app called "Google Currents" which downloads newspapers and sports stories. Really useful, but running out of control on my tablet!

Thanks to all.
I just want to be able to phone (in emergency) and send/receive texts (I know I will be charged for sending them)..........so if I turn "data roaming" off am I correct that
a) I can use WIFI from any local/free location (if I can find one)
b) I will not be charged for any internet/apps usage

Thanks again.

That's correct, with data roaming off your apps won't be able to connect to the Internet via the phone network, but will work fine with Wi-Fi.

You could also install an app that monitors your data usage, such as Onavo. This will record how much data your use over the mobile network. When abroad, and you have set roaming to off, Onavo will reocrd a zero usage, giving you peace of mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back