• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Desktop Mail Client for Mac (1 Viewer)

Hobbes2

I am in the process of making the move from Windows to Mac. My Windows PC was 8 years old, running XP and Outlook Express as the mail client. I really love Outlook Express. It's simple but effective and I can store and work with everything offline.

Moving to Mac, I am at a loss to find a desktop, offline mail client that comes anywhere near Outlook Express. I just wondered what others were using please?

I don't like Mail (it embeds attachments and formatting is restricted)
I tried Thunderbird but that too only embeds attachments into the message rather than actually sending the file. I also couldn't work out how to format the font and I didn't like its reliance on online syncing
I tried Postbox but that was clitchy and unstable.

Any other options, apart from spending lots of money on Office for Mac and hoping for a stable Outlook experience??!

Many thanks
Hobbes

I use mail, not sure what you mean about embedding attachments, I send loads of images to various places each week, if you're really concerned just load them in a folder and attach that. Formatting? I type and it records the words, I add a signature about as much as I need it to do.

Many thanks for your replies. It is probably just a case of beginner's frustrations. I shall keep persevering. :t:

There's a reasonably good overview of mail clients for OS X available from MacWorld. The page itself gives a summary, and if you click on the link to the chart you get a page with links to individual reviews. Most of those seem to be reasonably up to date.

OS X has Unix under the hood, and if you're so inclined you can also look at what clients are available there. However, this will almost certainly mean compiling your own, and that's not everybody's cup of tea since it requires a certain amount of knowledge on how such things work.

Andrea

Hobbes

have a look at: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3748251?start=0&tstart=0

which explains that the 'embedded' attachment issue is actually an issue with the way Outlook handles emails - not sure if Outlook Express behaves in the same way, but I guess it's likely?

The article suggests a work-around if you're sending mail with attachments to folk with PCs.

I suspect that if you persevere with Mail you'll find it quite acceptable after a week or so to adjust to the different interface....

John

There's a reasonably good overview of mail clients for OS X available from MacWorld. The page itself gives a summary, and if you click on the link to the chart you get a page with links to individual reviews. Most of those seem to be reasonably up to date.

OS X has Unix under the hood, and if you're so inclined you can also look at what clients are available there. However, this will almost certainly mean compiling your own, and that's not everybody's cup of tea since it requires a certain amount of knowledge on how such things work.

Andrea

Thanks Andrea. I am beginning to understand that email (and its clients) has move on a great deal in the 8 years since I last had to make this choice. I think I'm getting to grips with things now. :t:
Hobbes

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back