• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (4 Viewers)

Biodiversity Week Event

There will be an information day for the Little Tern Conservation Project on the beach at Baltray Sunday 24th May from 11am to 1pm.

All welcome!

Its a Greenfinch ;) Maybe not so tropical

Well maybe Tropical Newry......|=)||=)| cause he is the oddest looking Greenfinch that I have ever seen with such a massive beak. He is definitely noticeably bigger than the others and different colours. Are there any slightly different types of Greenfinch around here ?

Neither bird would be common. :eek!:
As far as I am aware no rock sparrows have ever been reported in Ireland and only one in Britian in 1981.
Again, regarding crag martins, I don't think they have been recorded in Ireland.
Which part of tropical Newry are you getting all these birds?
Male greenfinch much yellower than females especially in summer.

Well maybe Tropical Newry......|=)||=)| cause he is the oddest looking Greenfinch that I have ever seen with such a massive beak. He is definitely noticeably bigger than the others and different colours. Are there any slightly different types of Greenfinch around here ?

The sketch in my other book that I did of that bird had a few small bright green stripes higher up on shoulder and back and not down tail at all and no grey on bird so mixing a large Greenfinch perhaps of recent and today with it. Easily done but thanks anyway.

Neither bird would be common. :eek!:
As far as I am aware no rock sparrows have ever been reported in Ireland and only one in Britian in 1981.
Again, regarding crag martins, I don't think they have been recorded in Ireland.
Which part of tropical Newry are you getting all these birds?
Male greenfinch much yellower than females especially in summer.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes aware now from research that Crag Martins are even more unlikely. I have puzzled over Sand Martins too but they seemed a much more rich medium brown than those in my book which seemed too pale and too much white down chest. These birds were all rich medium brown with a little white patch under chin on neck. I saw two briefly once more lying oddly against each other with tails curved outwards high in tree this afternoon like pictures of birds similarly together on cliffs whilst looking at Swallows, Martins and Swifts sites but being no expert I cannot say exactly which they were. I would remember if similar birds were in these trees last summer but I know they were not. I saw Swifts flying and darting again this evening around this area. I heard one odd sounding like bird away up on ariel mast which was not a usual sound around here either.
It will be interesting to see if there are any other similar odd sightings anywhere around here or Ireland over the next few weeks or summer. I just found one article saying that there have been a few odd sightings of Swifts in trees in England. The sea bird sections in books are never-ending and here is close to the lough so there is always possibility that they are still some other unusual sea birds resembling Swifts or Martins.

I think I saw about 4 or 5 maximum Swifts playing and darting high up in sky about three times sunday morning from my garden away down towards town. On two different occasions I got an awful fright as one darted scary low past my garden and skimmed over top of garage. First one came along side of house but second whipped like a dart right over my head then the garage and skimmed through leaves of Ash. I held my breath as I thought it might get injured so fast and I cannot say a favourite bird anymore as scared me.
I went to woods late afternoon in the hope of seeing more but just saw three very high. I couldnt believe how many hares and even a young hare I saw and counted 7 or 8 Woodpigeons that I disturbed slightly. It was on the edge of higher end of woods facing hospital that most birds seem to be very high in trees and singing their hearts out. I saw two really yellow breasted birds in one of the highest trees and thought possible Yellow Hammers through binoculars but unsure but got distant picture of one. I saw one query Swift dart low so fast past one of the highest trees. No sign of query Swifts returning home at 6 yesterday or this evening and also saw two on saturday swooping down so close to the canal water beside bus station or is that the river maybe. Funny I thought they might drink sea water........or didnt realise clever enough to look for ordinary water.
I cleaned out all the drain pipes along the garage as noticed birds had stopped drinking (full of mud) and replaced with clean fresh water but rain lies there all the time anyway. Surely they couldnt have been attempting to drink water along there.

Attachments

• woods.jpg
    woods.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 66
  • think Dunnock.jpg
    think Dunnock.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 66
  • dunnock.jpg
    dunnock.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 72
  • yellow breast.jpg
    yellow breast.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 90
  • carving.jpg
    carving.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 61
'tis indeed a dunnock - not sure about the other one...

Flock of 20 odd painted ladies in the garden today...

Attachments

• painted lady garden.jpg
    painted lady garden.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 40
Meant to post last week, Out of 8 Great Tit eggs in the nestbox I had the camera in, 7 hatched and 7 fledged, So a great result.
I was pressed for time this year but I will try to have it online and streaming live for next season for all to see.

Had a brief ring-tailed harrier at Clogher head this morning. I though I got a glimse of wing tags but no colours or numbers. If anybody is in the area it might be worth a look....
Could not rule out montys given the date and weather;)

pec pics and hobby

Had a brief ring-tailed harrier at Clogher head this morning. I though I got a glimse of wing tags but no colours or numbers. If anybody is in the area it might be worth a look....
Could not rule out montys given the date and weather;)

A few pics of breeding woodpeckers wicklow and hobby at blackditch.

Attachments

• pec 222.jpg
    pec 222.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 45
  • pec 222a_1.jpg
    pec 222a_1.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 53
  • hobby 1.jpg
    hobby 1.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 51
Talk is that Peregrines are being hunted along the East coast, so can you all keep an eye out and report any sightings to the NPWS Ranger.

Urban life! Pic taken through dirty window from top of tholsel building on West St, Drogheda.

Attachments

• gull on tholsel.jpg
    gull on tholsel.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 84
Painted ladies everywhere!

Construction of our new birdwatching facility at Carlingford is complete: http://www.birdslouth.blogspot.com/
This is great and I look forward to seeing next week with my grandaughter and family. Actually my grandaughter is used to going regularly to feed ducks so where around Carlingford or Shelling Hill etc would she see the most ducks or wildlife. She is so funny as she holds on tightly to the bread, squeezes and crumbles a little in her hand, then shakes some crumbs at them and then most important of all she has a little bite herself. This proceedure is repeated until none left and so hilarious. Initally here at Watermeade lake she tried to get them to come to her and take a little bite from her hand but that didnt work so she figured out the latter funny proceedure. I think Canadian Geese and they hissed at first but then happy enough after realising we had brought food and of course we didnt touch the young.
The same evening we saw what I believe was a beautiful Night Heron really close but holding baby at time or I would have had a picture.

Attachments

• 121.jpg
    121.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 109.jpg
    109.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 113.jpg
    113.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 55
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back