• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is the 500/4 IS L USM going to make me happy? (1 Viewer)

Have gotten the new 600/4 now. Unfortunately I havent been able to use it very much yet. Delivery was delayed a few weeks, so I got it just in time for the last days of my vacation. Doh.

Seems like I'll get along well with this monster. I think it is a lot easier to carry as well as handhold than then old version of the 500/4. Pretty much the same weight, but the 600 is better balanced.

By the way: Insurance was rough for this monster. Also, they requested I store it in a safe, so there went a few extra bucks that I hadnt planned on spending. Something to consider before buying expensive camera Equipment!

Last edited:
The 500 will make you happy, but the 600 mk 2 even happier. Had to laugh at the concern over your wife finding out...that definitely resonates with me. Good luck with your new toy...I hope to have one of these as my retirement lens (in 15-20 years time) as I barely get enough opportunity at the moment to justify keeping my 600 mk 1.

The 500 will make you happy, but the 600 mk 2 even happier. Had to laugh at the concern over your wife finding out...that definitely resonates with me. Good luck with your new toy...I hope to have one of these as my retirement lens (in 15-20 years time) as I barely get enough opportunity at the moment to justify keeping my 600 mk 1.

A word of warning Robert... the older you get the less able to deal with weight!

I deliberated for ages as to which of the two to choose, 500 or 600 MK11. I couldn't justify both but the 500 won on it's weight and volume. The 600mm is not always a viable option to take abroad and that's where so much of my photography takes place as I'm lucky enough to take a few foreign holidays each year. I also decided that the older I got the more difficult it would become to manage the extra weight so the 500 was more of a long term investment.
However, and it's a big however, I do miss the extra 20% reach my 600mm gave me. I have contemplated buying another but it would be difficult to justify having the two again as I once did, albeit the MK1 versions... so I empathise with anyone who has the guilt of having spent so much just for a hobby.
I haven't actually held a 600mm MK11 though and although it's a similar weight to the 500mm MK1 the MK11's are constructed differently. It's not a case of better balance, it's a case of better weight distribution. The front glass element has been removed and the weight is firmly at the back end of the outfit now. That means the weight is carried by the arm tucked in to the chest not the outstretched one with no support. Makes a huge difference to hand holding. Not that it matters much, but balancing the outfit on a tripod is trickier, especially with a heavy camera body on the back.
As for me, if I was going to spend a small fortune on another lens, strangely I might consider the 200-400 with a built in TC but there again, the 600 would still be in the back of my mind especially as I only have full frame bodies nowadays.

Everything is a compromise Dave, isn't it? I liked my 500 for the brief while I owned it but felt that the "all up" weight over the shoulder on a tripod etc wasn't sooo much lighter than the 600, and that extra reach is nearly always valuable for birds, so have gone back to that now.

I wish someone would invent some kind of harness / support system which transferred the weight that's on your shoulder (when carrying a big lens on a tripod) to your waist. Something similar to a heavy duty strimmer harness.

I agree with the comments regarding the 600 Mk1 it is a bit of a beastie! I managed to get my 800mm at a very reasonable price, in lovely condition, and a big part of my reasoning was the weight reduction compared to the 600 Mk1 - though the reach is nice too!
A while back I had a play with the Canon 200-400 and the 600 Mk2. I was surprised that the 600 Mk2 felt lighter and seemed to handle better, for me, than the 200-400. One thing that I was not expecting was how fast the AF on the 200-400 was, on that particular day, with those 2 lenses, the 600 Mk2 was noticeably slower to focus than the 200-400. Both were very fast though - we are comparing superlatives here.
I am sure Recreationalbirding will be very happy with the 600 Mk2 until Old Father Time makes him go for a 400 DO!

I should never have got involved with this thread but I did and as a result I have now experienced hand holding the 600mm Mk2. It's doable but only just, for me anyway, similar to the 500mmMk1. I couldn't sit patiently waiting for the action to begin, I'd collapse first.It's a tripod lens, or at least support of some description, as far as I'm concerned.
The extra 20% reach is not insignificant and you still have a lot more focus points to use at f5.6 and 840mm using the 1.4TC. 500mm or 600mm ? Horses for courses, the jury is still out on which to choose, but as Robert says, it's always a compromise.

I should never have got involved with this thread but I did and as a result I have now experienced hand holding the 600mm Mk2. It's doable but only just, for me anyway, similar to the 500mmMk1. I couldn't sit patiently waiting for the action to begin, I'd collapse first.It's a tripod lens, or at least support of some description, as far as I'm concerned.
The extra 20% reach is not insignificant and you still have a lot more focus points to use at f5.6 and 840mm using the 1.4TC. 500mm or 600mm ? Horses for courses, the jury is still out on which to choose, but as Robert says, it's always a compromise.

I'm sorry for starting this thread Dave :) Best of luck with your new lens! :t:

A few days ago I was happy with my 7d2 and the new 100-400 and a 1.4 converter. Now this thread has got me thinking and those thoughts are expensive!!!

A few days ago I was happy with my 7d2 and the new 100-400 and a 1.4 converter. Now this thread has got me thinking and those thoughts are expensive!!!

That's just how it works 3:)... but you should be very happy with the 100-400/ii+1.4-converter. That's a great combo!

I attach a photo of a great grey owl that i took with the new 100-400ii+1.4x-converter this spring. It surprised me and it was so close so I had to zoom out alot! If I would have had a 600 at that time I wouldnt have gotten a photo of it...

Attachments

• lappuggla-2015-1600px-900k.jpg
    lappuggla-2015-1600px-900k.jpg
    749 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Managed to have a play with the 100-400 Mk2 for the first time today - I liked it very much. I think it would make a great walkabout wildlife lens and I like the close focus for reptiles and larger insects.
Might well be considering one for myself............

Yes, it's definitely a great walkabout lens! Very sharp. The 100-400ii is my default choice if I'm out birding. Anything larger/heavier and I wouldnt be able to carry the scope.

That's just how it works 3:)... but you should be very happy with the 100-400/ii+1.4-converter. That's a great combo!

I attach a photo of a great grey owl that i took with the new 100-400ii+1.4x-converter this spring. It surprised me and it was so close so I had to zoom out alot! If I would have had a 600 at that time I wouldnt have gotten a photo of it...

That is a lovely shot and a fantastic species too.

I am really happy with the 100-400 and converter. I sometimes don't even fit the latter. I won't be getting anything bigger, the bag is heavy enough as it is and then there is the cost!

That is a lovely shot and a fantastic species too.

I am really happy with the 100-400 and converter. I sometimes don't even fit the latter. I won't be getting anything bigger, the bag is heavy enough as it is and then there is the cost!

Thank you very much. Lovely species for sure!

And yes - sometimes, even with the 100-400ii, it feels as one could use a caddy carrying all the stuff around |:p|

Thank you very much. Lovely species for sure!

And yes - sometimes, even with the 100-400ii, it feels as one could use a caddy carrying all the stuff around |:p|

Problems solved. £20 from ebay, pictured full and with contents. Great as long as the going is not too rough.

Attachments

• bag (1 of 2).jpg
    bag (1 of 2).jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 62
  • bag (2 of 2).jpg
    bag (2 of 2).jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 87
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back