• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (34 Viewers)

I was referring to the new sign on the upstairs door of the hide, which bears the names of these 2 much missed stalwarts of Upton Warren. So I guess it must be official.

Cheers Andy - I thought there was going to be an official unveiling or a small ceremony or something similar. Clearly not. :-C

Hi John. I saw 2 female Pochard at the Moors Pool early morning and they were still there when I returned early afternoon. Alan H and myself also had 4 Sand Martins from the East Hide early morning. I then had a further 2 from the Arthur & Joyce Jacobs Hide late morning and a party of 10 from there mid-afternoon.

I spent 12 hours at the reserve today, logging 64 species. I also missed Gert's Dunlin and didn't get Skylark, Meadow Pipit or Mistle Thrush (still need that for the year!). That would suggest that there were at least 68 species present at UW today. Of the other more common species I might have expected to see Redwing, Goldcrest, Siskin & Common Gull were the most notable absentees.

Andy what sex were the pochard I had 2 females yesterday:t:

Morning!

I received this message this morning and I'll be away the weekend of the event. Is anyone interested in registering the Warren please? ATB:t:

[Click on the link at the bottom for details and registration form]

Dear ‘I love Shorebirds' Member,

I write you individually in a hope that you support our great shorebird event of the year. You probably heard about the World Shorebirds’ Day, which is a public awareness initiative of the need for shorebird protection, shorebird habitat conservation, research and fund raising worldwide.

As a part of the event, the Global Shorebird-Counts will be held targeting to have 1,000 sites and a lot more people involved in the launch year (2014). There are already nearly 200 sites registered. I kindly ask you to consider joining this shorebird count project. Only one thing is needed to be done now from your side. Register your site, where you most probably will count shorebirds on the weekend of 6-7 September 2014.

Please visit the site registration page on the World Shorebirds’ Day website: http://worldshorebirdsday.wordpress.com/global-shorebird-counting/ I count on you. With this registration, you give yourself a chance to win some awesome prizes offered by our partners.

Thanks for your time. I hope you did not find this message disturbing.

Best, Szimi
_
Gyorgy Szimuly
Coordinator of the Global Events of the World Shorebirds Day
Milton Keynes, UK

http://worldshorebirdsday.wordpress.com

Morning!

I received this message this morning and I'll be away the weekend of the event. Is anyone interested in registering the Warren please? ATB:t:

[Click on the link at the bottom for details and registration form]

Dear ‘I love Shorebirds' Member,

I write you individually in a hope that you support our great shorebird event of the year. You probably heard about the World Shorebirds’ Day, which is a public awareness initiative of the need for shorebird protection, shorebird habitat conservation, research and fund raising worldwide.

As a part of the event, the Global Shorebird-Counts will be held targeting to have 1,000 sites and a lot more people involved in the launch year (2014). There are already nearly 200 sites registered. I kindly ask you to consider joining this shorebird count project. Only one thing is needed to be done now from your side. Register your site, where you most probably will count shorebirds on the weekend of 6-7 September 2014.

Please visit the site registration page on the World Shorebirds’ Day website: http://worldshorebirdsday.wordpress.com/global-shorebird-counting/ I count on you. With this registration, you give yourself a chance to win some awesome prizes offered by our partners.

Thanks for your time. I hope you did not find this message disturbing.

Best, Szimi
_
Gyorgy Szimuly
Coordinator of the Global Events of the World Shorebirds Day
Milton Keynes, UK

http://worldshorebirdsday.wordpress.com

Hi Gary - have registered Upton; the dates of this event coincide with both the likely day for the Autumn All-day Birdwatch (6th) and the September WeBS core count date (7th).

Last edited:
As with any data set one needs to be cautious with the statistics contained within. For example all the pre-1984 data comes via the WMBC annual reports which only flags return dates that were the earliest for the county that year, skewing the data. At some point I will go through AFJ's old notebooks and see what light they may shed on migrant arrival dates in the 1970s. In the meantime please find the average return dates for Sand Martin in five year blocks (bearing in mind the above caveat).

In that case I think I will disregard the pre 1984 data in future - until you refine it via AFJ's notes.

Avocet numbers increasing even further - 31 this morning at the Flashes as per Dave J!! :eek!: Blackwit has departed from the Flashes, flying over the Sailing Lake.

Edit: Blackwit just returned.

Last edited:
Latest year list addition

Gazza P just had swallow on east side of moors

100. Swallow

This is the joint second earliest Swallow recorded at Upton Warren, matching the date achieved in 2010 and only beaten by the arrival of 1998's first bird on the 20th March. Attached is a chart showing the spread of Swallow arrival dates over the years.

Attachments

• swallow spread.jpg
    swallow spread.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back