• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brent Geese - North Wales (1 Viewer)

Shirley Roulston

Along the Menai Strait's on the Caernafon side, last winter and this Autumn I have seen a large flock of Brent Geese.
There was one goose that I saw that was had a ring and again a different goose this year. Someone put me in touch with a man in Ireland where they belived that was where the geese had been rung. Sure enough, there are a group of people ringing and studing the Brent Geese.
The geese breed in Greenland ( I think) then fly down to Ireland and then some of them fly across the Irish sea to North Wales where they will winter around Caernafon, the stretch of water called the Menai Strait's. The ring has bold numbers which repeat all the way round and the goose I saw this year was CHRY, known to be seen locally in the area.
There are seen better when the tide is out and they graze where there is a lot of seaweed.

Attachments

• Brent Geese -  Carnarvon 12th November 2013.jpg
    Brent Geese - Carnarvon 12th November 2013.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 73
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back