• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First DSLR kit - 400mm zoom lens options (1 Viewer)

Hobbes2

Weight is a big issue for me (which is why I've been using the Panasonic micro four thirds set up). However, I am increasingly frustrated by its limitations when it comes to taking birds in flight or anything that moves!

I've concluded that I'd like a 400mm zoom lens so it's between the Canon 100-400mm IS or the new Nikon 80-400mm VR. Both are the same weight but obviously the Nikon is nearly twice the price. Is it worth the extra cash?

When it comes to the body, I'd like the facilities offered by the Canon 7D but it is too heavy for me. That limits me to the Canon 700D (300g lighter than the 7D). Or, if I go the Nikon route, I was considering the Nikon D3200 (equivalent to the Canon 700D) or the Nikon D7100 but I'm concerned that the smallest crop factor that can be set to is 1.3 (whilst the Canon offers a 1.6 cropped field of view, which is very handy with distant birds).

So, I guess the combinations I'm considering are

Nikon D3200 with the new 80-400mm lens (approx cost £2300)

or
Canon 700D with the 100-400mm lens (approx cost £1700)

I would value any thoughts on the above possibilities. I guess I'm putting the money into the lens and opting for a lower spec body. Does the £500 difference between the two set ups suggest the Nikon is better?

Many thanks
Hobbes

Last edited:
If you have the budget, the D7100 and the 809-400mm is a fantastic combo. The D7100's 1.3x crop you mention is on top of its existing 1.5x crop factor, thus you end up with a crop factor of almost 2x like a Micro 4/3.

If you have the budget, the D7100 and the 809-400mm is a fantastic combo. The D7100's 1.3x crop you mention is on top of its existing 1.5x crop factor, thus you end up with a crop factor of almost 2x like a Micro 4/3.

Wow, I hadn't realised that. It does sound absolutely ideal. Wish I had the money. Thank you Hor Kee :t:

Weight is a big issue for me (which is why I've been using the Panasonic micro four thirds set up). However, I am increasingly frustrated by its limitations when it comes to taking birds in flight or anything that moves!

I've concluded that I'd like a 400mm zoom lens so it's between the Canon 100-400mm IS or the new Nikon 80-400mm VR. Both are the same weight but obviously the Nikon is nearly twice the price. Is it worth the extra cash?

When it comes to the body, I'd like the facilities offered by the Canon 7D but it is too heavy for me. That limits me to the Canon 700D (300g lighter than the 7D). Or, if I go the Nikon route, I was considering the Nikon D3200 (equivalent to the Canon 700D) or the Nikon D7100 but I'm concerned that the smallest crop factor that can be set to is 1.3 (whilst the Canon offers a 1.6 cropped field of view, which is very handy with distant birds).

So, I guess the combinations I'm considering are

Nikon D3200 with the new 80-400mm lens (approx cost £2300)

or
Canon 700D with the 100-400mm lens (approx cost £1700)

I would value any thoughts on the above possibilities. I guess I'm putting the money into the lens and opting for a lower spec body. Does the £500 difference between the two set ups suggest the Nikon is better?

Many thanks
Hobbes

I have owned an older Nikon 80-400 and bought the new version recently and used it briefly
I also have this 100-400L from Canon along with Sony 70-400G.
Well, Nikon's 1st generation was the worst. The newer version showed much improvement. If you happened to have invested in Nikon gear...this is the choice.
Canon's 100-400L is sharper and better
Sony's....one is the sharpest and least expensive. But Sony is not known in this field...
As for weight, these three lenses are feather light comparing to the big primes..and should not be an issue. I was able to carry the lens and camera jumping/hiking.
The recent third party Tamron 150-600 makes the choice much easier. This lens, according to review, is as sharp as any of the 400mm zoom but offers a reach to 600mm

As for camera, Canon 700D and Nikon D3200 are almost identical...and I wonder if the newer D3300 shares the same improved performance as found in D5300. If there is an image area selction in DD3300 as found in Nikon D7100, then D3300 much easier choice

Thank you for your replies Mark :t:. Very helpful. I will have a look at the kit your suggest. Is there a Sony body that's comparable in spec to the others mentioned?

The Sony A58 is their more entry-level body, and would pair well with the Sony 70-400 G lens, or to go cheaper, you could pick up a Tamron 200-500, Sigma 150-500, or the new Tamron 150-600mm lenses. For a more advanced and larger body, you could look at the Sony A65, and the Sony A77 is the top of their APS-C (1.5x crop) bodies...it may be replaced soon, but that also means the prices have come down because it's been out a few years.

Also, if you come upon an A57 Sony, many feel that body had advantages both in design and performance over the A58 that replaced it - you may still find some old new stock, or a lightly used one. The Sony 70-400mm G lens is excellent optically. And the Sony SLT bodies will work similarly to some of your M4:3 gear in that they use electronic viewfinders rather than optical - some prefer optical and some prefer electronic - still others can use both interchangeably...but it should at least be familiar to most mirrorless body users...yet the Sony SLTs still have dedicated phase-detect AF sensors and larger buffers like DSLRs, so they will autofocus and track focus much better than the mirrorless bodies.

Pretty much any entry-level to mid-level DSLR body will serve you well, paired with a decent lens...so you can't really go wrong whether you go with Canon, Nikon, Sony, or Pentax.

Hi Justin, thank you for answering my query about the Sony kit. It's always good to hear about makes other than Nikon and Canon. The research continues :t:

slightly different - and for bird images - forget the zoom - you will be at the end of your range 99% of the time when taking bird images
and good value for money

I'd go for the D7100 or D7000, (maybe a few new ones still kicking around at a good price), or a good used D300s

and a AF-S Nikon 300mm f4 - it really is a star performer
maybe with a used Nikon x 1.4 TC
the Nikon 300mm f4 is good as a carry around but when you have the time a goodish tripod is very useful
(monopods never thrill me!!)

Last edited:
If you're thinking of going d3200 or equivalent canon model, I'd seriously consider the sony a77 + 70-400 setup. You can find really good deals on the a77 right now. I use it right now and it'll blow the doors off entry level canikon models. The a77 was the top of the line aps-c for sony's line, and should have much better af performance than either entry level canikon. The 70-400 is also on the same level as nikon's more expensive lens, and both are much superior to canon's 100-400.

That said nikon d7100 or canon 70d with their respective lenses would also be great choices, and if you ever feel the urge to spend 10k+ on 500mm behemoths you won't have to switch brands to do so. For me, sony gives better bang for buck on the lower end.

If you're thinking of going d3200 or equivalent canon model, I'd seriously consider the sony a77 + 70-400 setup. You can find really good deals on the a77 right now. I use it right now and it'll blow the doors off entry level canikon models. The a77 was the top of the line aps-c for sony's line, and should have much better af performance than either entry level canikon. The 70-400 is also on the same level as nikon's more expensive lens, and both are much superior to canon's 100-400.

That said nikon d7100 or canon 70d with their respective lenses would also be great choices, and if you ever feel the urge to spend 10k+ on 500mm behemoths you won't have to switch brands to do so. For me, sony gives better bang for buck on the lower end.

Thanks kankushok, it's good to hear about the Sony options. :t:

Or if you want an extra boost in focal length, get the Sony A57. It has a function that the A77 lacks - Clear Image Zoom. The camera crops the image to half its size and extrapolates it back to a full-res image just like what post-processing can do. JPEG only though.

Or if you want an extra boost in focal length, get the Sony A57. It has a function that the A77 lacks - Clear Image Zoom. The camera crops the image to half its size and extrapolates it back to a full-res image just like what post-processing can do. JPEG only though.

Sounds very like the function on Panasonic cameras. And, it's extremely handy. Good to know, thanks Hor Kee.

If you are shooting birds chances are 99% of the time you will be at full zoom. For birds in flight the Canon 400 f5.6 lens can't be beat in the price range. It is also lighter weight than the zoom you are considering. For the body I would suggest the 70D. It a bit heavier but with the weight saving in the lens if you had the 400 f5.6 it would still be light overall. Price of this combo is in your range too.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back