• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why would you buy a Zeiss HT over an SF? (1 Viewer)

Either Zeiss has a hell of a markup, or the dealer broke even or lost money. Does Zeiss have a MAP policy ?

Will do, I got them for $1950 shipped to my home...he just got brand new versions from Germany....I waited 2 weeks for the new batch o:D

Meaning it won't hurt it? Really!

The Docter 7x40 IF seems virtually indestructible. There's some information somewhere on the net about the tests the original version made for the East German army had to pass, and I doubt any civilian binocular would pass these tests.

Generally speaking, some of the military binoculars (including the Hensoldt range and the Swarovski Habicht range made for the military as well as the Russian BPO 7x30) are *very* tough. I only know the Hensoldt and the BPO 7x30 quite well, and these things can take a beating. Plus these binoculars are all easily serviceable, compared to modern roofs with centre focusing.

So, if you go on an expedition for a few months, to some inhospitable place, I think any of these bins would be very likely to survive (even if you don't ... :king:).

Hermann

The Docter 7x40 IF seems virtually indestructible. There's some information somewhere on the net about the tests the original version made for the East German army had to pass, and I doubt any civilian binocular would pass these tests.

Generally speaking, some of the military binoculars (including the Hensoldt range and the Swarovski Habicht range made for the military as well as the Russian BPO 7x30) are *very* tough. I only know the Hensoldt and the BPO 7x30 quite well, and these things can take a beating. Plus these binoculars are all easily serviceable, compared to modern roofs with centre focusing.

So, if you go on an expedition for a few months, to some inhospitable place, I think any of these bins would be very likely to survive (even if you don't ... :king:).

Hermann
I agree. The Habicht GA is made to go to war with. I imagine you could drop it without any damage what so ever.

Hermann

The EDF was the original glass Docter still produces as the 7x40 IF.
A summary of the acceptance testing, in German , was provided Guido Thuernagel in his excellent website summary of East German optics, here:

http://home.arcor.de/thuernagel/edf.htm

The EDF testing included submerging, drops, bake and freeze, vibration, salt water spray and various shocks up to 120G.

The Habicht 8x30 W are tested by putting them in a pen with ten geese for an hour and seeing how much Goose poop they can endure. Testing has shown they are totally "Goose Poop Proof" to 3M. Here is a video of the testing. Look closely the Habicht is in the deep grass.:-O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSdLnDj0Qw0

Wow thats amazing Dennis.
Some of those geese appear to have upto more than 95% poo transmission, although some of it seemed to have a green cast, which was a bit off-putting.

Lee

looks like the line of models for the new Swarovski badge.... don't know if they will use the "pooping image" for the new badge....but bet they will have a long countdown B4 the new badge announcement.....

Last edited:
I suspect they would then have to be put in a pen with ten sheep for an hour before Lee would give them his approval.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3360513&postcount=176

"However if you are on any of the Scottish Islands and you are stalking Otters (or anything), wherever you sit down or lie down its 10:1 you will find you are on sheep poo."

Bruce

Sheep poo is indeed all over the place in the hills and islands of Scotland but it is actually fairly innocent stuff. It dries out quickly and doesn't smell or stain badly.

Goose poo on the other hand (and you don't want to get it on either hand) is the Deepwater Horizon / Exxon Valdez / Fukoshima of poo. It is utterly nasty stuff and is to be avoided at all times if you value your sanity and clothes.

Lee

Do the Zeiss HT's have a stronger bridge than the Zeiss SF?

Dennis

This appears to be a single question but actually it is several disguised as only one.

HT has two bridges.
SF has three bridges.

Which one(s) are you asking about?
Or are you asking about the HTs array of bridges vs the SFs array ie each binocular's total system?

And are you talking about strength in terms of compression, angular impact or torsion?

Not that I know the answer to whatever question you were asking but it is as well to be aware that simple engineering questions often aren't simple.

And its usually not advisable with engineering to consider one aspect in isolation. If dropped onto a stone floor HT might suffer different damage from an SF. For example its armour is quite solid so the impact might transfer to the optics and cause collimation issues whereas the SF's impact-absorbing armour might prevent this.

Would the quality of HT and SF be improved if they had metal eyecups? Instinct might say yes, but if they fell and landed heavily on the metal eyecups and the shock was transmitted to the optics instead of cracking a plastic eyecup then one might say 'lets stay with the plastic'.

Lee

Bruce

Sheep poo is indeed all over the place in the hills and islands of Scotland but it is actually fairly innocent stuff. It dries out quickly and doesn't smell or stain badly.

Goose poo on the other hand (and you don't want to get it on either hand) is the Deepwater Horizon / Exxon Valdez / Fukoshima of poo. It is utterly nasty stuff and is to be avoided at all times if you value your sanity and clothes.

Lee
Thanks for that clarification. It is nice to have a "Poop Expert" on Bird Forum.:-O

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back