• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler(?) Sussex UK (1 Viewer)

Ruby

HI All,

Had an intriguing sighting when walking in Ashdown Forest the other day - not sure that the info that I am able to provide will ever enable a definite id to be made, but just interested in some other people's ideas....

Watching a group of Stonechats when a slightly larger bird flicked up onto the top of a bush - very pale/white throat, chest and belly and a darker head with that domed shape that some warblers have (ie like Sardinian Warbler for instance).... It only stayed put for a few seconds and then flew off, displaying greyish back and upperwing with distinct white tail-sides....

Having a bit of trouble thinking what this might have been - something prosaic and me just having a senior-moment, or something altogether more exotic!!

All the best.... Ray

I took this in late June (same time as the Short-toed was up there), I thought your description sounded familiar! Sounds like a Whitethroat to me.

Attachments

• whitethroat.jpg
    whitethroat.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 78
Hi Guys,

Well. Must say that my impression at the time ruled out Whitethroat as, although white tail-sides was good, the overall mono-chrome look of the bird didn't look good at all.... The bird was much paler on the front than I would expect, and there were no brown/rufous tones to the upperparts when it flew off....

BUT, seeing Joe's photo makes me think again.... This actually looks pretty good for what I saw - of course, can't say what it would have looked like flying away, but it was a bit of a misty, claggy morning which might have contributed to the overall mono-chrome look I suppose.

I thought at the time that Lesser Whitethroat was a possibility but don't think they have white tail-sides, and can't say that I can recall ever seeing one with that head-shape....

All the best... Ray

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back