• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snow Goose white morph ? Jan-2017 Great Swamp NWR,NJ,USA (1 Viewer)

and_475

One in front seems like dark morph but next one I'm not sure.
According to my guides white morph supposed to have black primaries and I don't see any on that bird.

Thanks

Attachments

• picture25-6.jpg
    picture25-6.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 117
Snow Geese of both varieties have dark wingtips. These are domestic geese.
Domestic geese cannot fly or if they do they usually fly badly... They're heavier and usually their weight distribution causes drag.. This bird is a good flier... so I'd say it's probably an albino/leucistic Snow Goose or a domestic/wild hybrid..

Both are domestic goose x Canada Goose hybrids. With white domestic crosses such hybrids rarely show the dark feathers of their Canada parent and bill always pink.

Steve.

Not true.. Almost all are descended from Greylags.. (ex Chinese Geese) Even white breeds mostly have orange bills and feet...
Little difference between pink & orange from any distance; I was assuming you meant pink vs. black bills, which some domesticated breeds (derived from Chinese geese) do have. And the legs are pink, even when the bills are orange.

But worth adding that the eastern subspecies of Greylag (A. a. rubrirostris) has a genuinely pink bill, and is also involved in the origin of some domesticated goose breeds.

Little difference between pink & orange from any distance; I was assuming you meant pink vs. black bills, which some domesticated breeds (derived from Chinese geese) do have. And the legs are pink, even when the bills are orange.

But worth adding that the eastern subspecies of Greylag (A. a. rubrirostris) has a genuinely pink bill, and is also involved in the origin of some domesticated goose breeds.
I agree Nutcracker... There's even a Polish race of Mute swan with pink feet...

Just a quibble...'Polish Swans' are not a race of Mute Swan but just a genetic form where the cygnets are white and the legs & feet are pinkish. They do not originate from Poland either but occur in all populations.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back