• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ugandan Mountain Sunbirds (1 Viewer)

Fink

Hello everyone,

Im back from my holidays in Uganda.

I'm not sure about theese 3 sunbirds. Plz help:

my suggestion:

#1 Regal Sunbird, Location: Rwenzori Mountains, Altitude ca. 2300-2500 m
#2 Green-headed/blue-headed sunbird, Location: Kibale Forest,
#3 Regal sunbird/blue headed-sunbird, Bwindi Nationalpark, Altitude: ca. 1600 m
(no red colour under tail)

Note: Blue headed sunbird: I couldnt find a picture in the internet for defenitive distinguish between blue and green headed sunbird.

Book says for male: head, throat and upper crest iridescent dark blue with a violet sheen, mantle dark saffron-oliv and belly darkish blackish. Eyes bright red. Pectorial tufts creamy yellow.

Thx for helping.

Fink

Attachments

• regal sunbird.jpg
    regal sunbird.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 15
  • green-headed sunbird.JPG
    green-headed sunbird.JPG
    274.2 KB · Views: 22
  • blue headed sunbird.jpg
    blue headed sunbird.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 15
I'm not an expert, but I'm commenting because no-one else has. Even if I'm wrong, this will put your post back to the top, where maybe someone more knowledgeable will see it.

Regal looks certain for #1
For the second, I'll take the Fern's opinion. I've only ever seen female Green-headed.

In the photo of the third (which I have lightened and attached), we can see a purple breastband with a darker lower edge, and then a yellow/orange belly. Therefore I wonder if this isn't Variable Sunbird ssp igniventris (the western ssp, which fits with location)?

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 25
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back