• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rican Hummingbird (1 Viewer)

Andrew S

Kentish Mother
Can anyone help me with this bird?

Taken in Costa Rica Jan 1999, high up on Cerro de la Muerte.

Have been through the Stiles and Skutch book several times, but can't match it to anything. Nearest match seems to be Volcano Hummingbird (which is apparently common in that area), but the white on the side of the neck does not match.

Light not good, but there is a hint of purple in the throat.

Also, anyone know what the rather attractive flower is?

Thanks all.

Andrew

Attachments

• CRHB 1.jpg
    CRHB 1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 225
  • CRHB 2.jpg
    CRHB 2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 224
With that graduated gorget, white outer tail tips, at least part of the tail brown-- shouldn't be that hard, but...

Closest I can get to it is Bumblebee or Wine-throated, Atthis heloisa or ellioti, except... bill looks too long... but then the Volcano's bill looks shorter in Ridgely too... and I don't know the ranges of the two Atthis....

Thanks all.

Think it is VH - I think what was fooling me is that the pointy bit of the purple throat is composed of longer feathers that are free to move over the white feathers, so the shape of the white bit depends upon the head position. In S&S there is no white showing above the purple.

Here is another pic (not mine!) from the internet, on which I think this is a little clearer:

http://comp.uark.edu/~rdoster/Volcano.JPG

Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back