• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waders in Shetland Isles, Scotland (1 Viewer)

Martin16

On a recent trip to Shetland I took photos of various waders on 26/08/17 which I am having difficulties identifying. They were at the Loch of Spiggie (NT3616T) in the South Mainland of Shetland. All were in a grass field which had been mown within the last 10 days and close to the Loch. The Loch itself is less than 1.5km from the seashore with both rocky, shingly and sandy beaches. The photos are by no means clear as the birds, in some cases, were a good 150m away. I think the birds concerned are Godwit, possibly Greenshank, Green Sandpiper and Curlew Sandpiper, but am by no means certain and would welcome positive ID if possible

Photo 8032 - Two birds which appear to be different.
Photo 8042 - This bird appears to have a downward curved bird. Could it be a
Curlew Sandpiper
Photo 8046 - Could the nearest bird also be a Curlew Sandpiper.
Photo 8047 - Those in the background I take to be Black-tailed Godwit, but am uncertain of that in the foreground.

Attachments

• IMG_8032.jpg
    IMG_8032.jpg
    559.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_8042.jpg
    IMG_8042.jpg
    735 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_8046.jpg
    IMG_8046.jpg
    933.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_8047.jpg
    IMG_8047.jpg
    863.6 KB · Views: 84
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back