• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id help - Pendam/Sikkim - 2 (1 Viewer)

mihir

India
1)
2)
3)
4) White-tailed Nuthatch?
5) Grey-hooded Warbler?

Attachments

• _SIK0456.jpg
    _SIK0456.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 38
  • _SIK0660.jpg
    _SIK0660.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 44
  • _SIK0748.jpg
    _SIK0748.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 49
  • _SIK0799.jpg
    _SIK0799.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 37
  • _SIK0787.jpg
    _SIK0787.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 41
1. Himalayan Swiftlet?
2. Indian Cuckoo? - thick yellow eye-ring and dark eye, quite heavily barred on undertail coverts
3. struggling with this one - is it a weird shot of Rufous Woodpecker?
4. could be White-tailed, but what about Kashmir?
5. agree with Grey-hooded

Last edited:
1. Himalayan Swiftlet
2. Himalayan/Lesser Cuckoo Not sure how you eliminate Lesser from this image.
3. Striated Laughingthrush ??
4. White-tailed Nuthatch
5. Yellow-bellied Warbler

Grahame

Out of interest, how did you eliminate Indian?

Could be, but I thought it was adopting a rather woodpecker-like pose.

It has a yellow throat?

Out of interest, how did you eliminate Indian?

Could be, but I thought it was adopting a rather woodpecker-like pose.

It has a yellow throat?

re 2 Fair point Andy. No view of the under tail so cuculus sp.
re 3 No idea really but the bird does appear to have streaked underparts and upperparts.

Grahame

I'm not sure that helps much! I'm trying to work out if this bird has a thick yellow eyering and small black eye, or yellow iris and rather large pupil, they're such difficult images. Apart from that, I would say the white bars on the folded wing (on either side of the undertail coverts) - more normally large white spots in this species - and rather heavily marked UTCs do not seem to be typical of Lesser Cuckoo. I've cropped and adjusted the 1st image of this bird, if anyone else wants to have a go.

Re the bird in the 3rd image, I found some pictures of Streaked Laughingthrush clinging to a tree-trunk and a near-vertical branch, so I think Grahame's right. As he says, it's streaked on both the underparts and upperparts, so I can't see any alternative - definitely not Rufous Woodpecker, which is heavily barred on the upperparts.

Attachments

• _SIK0660.jpg
    _SIK0660.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Have borrowed this image from my brother. This should help.

Attachments

• 22499232_1560236640699221_7226123144146904976_o.jpg
    22499232_1560236640699221_7226123144146904976_o.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 19
I think we can safely rule out Indian due to the absence of the terminal band on the tail, rich rufous-brown markings on the upperparts and reddish-brown irides.

Although the bird looks quite small and fine-billed, I'm leaning towards a young Himalayan. I can't find any images of juv Himalayan but it seems Lesser should be rather greyer, something like this bird, unless it's a hepatic morph - this one doesn't appear to be:

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=443&Bird_Image_ID=108874

Your bird, on the other hand, is quite richly-coloured on the upperparts, seems to have a reddish iris and is quite finely-barred on the underparts.

I may be wrong though, and would welcome a second opinion.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back