• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Plover (1 Viewer)

h.brousmiche

Henry Brousmiche - Torgny Belgium
This photo was made on Praslin Island in the Seychelles.

This Plover was with some Grey Plover.

I do hesitate, is it a Pacific Golden Plover or a American Golden Plover?

An ID ?

Henry

Attachments

• 4120v2.jpg
    4120v2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 450
Yes! in flight you should see Black Axillaries or arm pits.

This feature Rules out Golden, Pacific & American Golden Plover.

In flight American Golden Plover can be identified by Black undertail Coverts & no white flank Adult summers will have blck bellies as well.

In Pacific Golden Plover the undertail Coverts are cream or white.
On the ground Pacific is generaly longer legged.

Colin J.

Don't know which book you are using Colin but very many Pacific Golden Plovers do have black undertail coverts.

Wing structure is the safest way to tell American and Pacific apart though Pacific never shows the solidly dark flanks of most Americans when breeding.

Pacific generally looks like a rather emaciated Eurasian Golden in all plumages whereas American is less Eurasian like and its very long primaries (emphasised by short tertials) stick out behind the tail and look like a pair of scissors.

Spud

No I don't have a flight picture...
I saw this plover with grey plovers and the golden color on the wings was very present and looks like gold in the sun.
That's why I think it was not a grey plover.

Henry

Yes Logos I stand corrected. It looks like my reference described the undertail coverts erronously.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Colin J.

As Michael says, the bill is 'way too big, and I think the undertail-- the whole under-rump-- is too white for anything but Black-bellied (Grey). And, Henry, I have seen Black-bellies that are quite warm above... albeit not 'gold'.

Should 'a waited till it flew...

I just spend part of my vacation photographing mud flats full of that exact bird. I find it interesting that I was told they were "black-bellied" plovers.... interesting that others call them "Grey Plovers"

Regional differences? I was in Maine, USA.

Eric

Hi Eric,

Yes, regional differences, Grey in Europe and Black-bellied in the Americas but certainly the same species (Pluvialis squatarola). No subspecies have been described which makes a change!

Spud

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back