• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mason Jar Feeder (1 Viewer)

carjug

These are REALLY good!
I've had this design in mind for about a year, then I saw some squatty looking Mason jars in the spice jar section in a gourmet food and wine shop called World Market. I bought two, The Mighty Wife was with me or I would have bought more.
I replaced the flat lids with some plastic from peanut butter jar tops. It was cut to size with tin snips and drilled with 3/32nd and 1 inch bits respectively. The bottles are from some maple syrup and an old pop bottle I found in a trash heap in the woods.
I haven't seen this design before, as far as I am concerned, it can be considered public domain. The hummers like the feeders as well as any similar commercial feeders. I do wish the jars were smaller, but they are still pretty darn good!

Attachments

• DSCN1003 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN1003 - Copy.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN1012.JPG
    DSCN1012.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 93
OOps forgot to post the pics...

And Carjug, are they able to drink all the nectar or is the mason jar too deep for that?

Attachments

• hummer feeder 1.JPG
    hummer feeder 1.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 55
  • oriole feeder.JPG
    oriole feeder.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 45
Dunno if they can drink all the nectar, but I doubt they ever will. The advantage of the mason jar is that it is transparant, and most of the work is already done for you. The best size junk I have found for feeders is those little round chewing tobacco tins that rednecks keep in their back pockets before throwing them in a ditch. Can't figure out a good way to really use them though. I've got some catfood containers at the house that look promising, I will make some feeders with them over the winter.
How'd Ja make them little Hammocks for your feeders? I've got some knotted parachute cord leashes for some feeders, but nothing like them hammocks!

Yeah, mine are transparent too. It wasn't much work to assemble them - on the orange one, I just put holes in the lid and later added pieces of drinking straw when they ignored it. The bottle one involved cutting a hole for the bottleneck and drinking holes, and later adding straws too.

I really crocheted the hammocks! I made them to fit the containers, and the bottle one is removable so I can change out the bottle if it gets grubby or springs a leak.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back