• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In my area (1 Viewer)

Gun Smoke

Hi folks I'm new to the forum; thanks for having me. I have a question about NC/SC USA. What hummingbirds could I expect to see at my feeder? Right now I just have a very territorial ruby breasted? Red throat, green back, black and white tail on female. Anyway I'm wondering if I could expect to ever see any other varieties. Thanks folks.

Hi Gun smoke, Link below is to a site that gives a good account of whats seen in north america. Will help with ebird too, has a specie list by state/province. using with Ebird will help pin it down. Maybe stretch the odds towards catching a glance.

http://hummingbirds.net/index.html

After you have your species by state list...

Then give Ebird.org a whirl, once there choose, "explore data", "range and point maps"... then enter particular specie and your location. Checking "show quicker" will show graphic flags with data on map.

Quick look showed records of Rufous this past march around Chaple hill and elsewhere. Looks like theres a few records for Anna's sporadically, last about two years ago. Having so much coast stacks the odds in favor of exotics blowing in occasionally too. Let you dig for those rascals.

Last edited:
Hi Gun smoke, Link below is to a site that gives a good account of whats seen in north america. Will help with ebird too, has a specie list by state/province. using with Ebird will help pin it down. Maybe stretch the odds towards catching a glance.

http://hummingbirds.net/index.html

After you have your species by state list...

Then give Ebird.org a whirl, once there choose, "explore data", "range and point maps"... then enter particular specie and your location. Checking "show quicker" will show graphic flags with data on map.

Quick look showed records of Rufous this past march around Chaple hill and elsewhere. Looks like theres a few records for Anna's sporadically, last about two years ago. Having so much coast stacks the odds in favor of exotics blowing in occasionally too. Let you dig for those rascals.

Thanks Bill that's a huge help.

Unfortunately, all I've ever had are the Ruby-throated Hummers, but a friend a few miles away have had Rufous Hummers at his feeder.

Hey Gun Smoke......
I'm in eastern NC, and all I've ever seen are the Ruby-Throated hummers. They say we get the Rufous too, occasionally, but if I've seen one I didn't know it. From the pics in a bird book, the Rufous looks like a female Ruby-Throated hummer. The one's with the red throat are the males. The female is usually a tad bigger, and no red throat. I do wish we got several species, like I've seen at other places.

Edit:
The book with the pic of the Rufous I saw was "Birds of North Carolina". Pics I've seen here, of a Rufous, looks nothing like a Ruby-Throated. Oh well.........

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back