• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (16 Viewers)

I walked down, saw a notice on way back, by which time
it was too late. Hopefully it will go away in a few days.

Going to see your Doc is probably a waste of time I saw 2 the first time I got it, understandably they didn't have a clue it was moths that caused it.

Calamine lotion is the way to go.

Since getting it for the first time, when they first arrived at Spurn, I get itchiness to a small degree every day when I get showered. The heat seems to flare it up again, it's in all the same areas as it gets you, inside top of thighs, back of knees, inside elbows, neck etc

G

Hi,

Anybody else come back from Spurn Point with the dreaded Brown Tailed Moth caterpillar rash?

Was there on Sunday and rash showed up yesterday, and now other spots are starting to appear on my arms and legs.

Anybody know if it will go away on it's own accord, or will I need to see the doctor?

Thanks

John.

i had that same problem back in june when i was down there, i came out in a real bad itchy rash and hives, had to go see a quack and he gave me some pills, took a couple of weeks to clear up!!

Sounds like we had the same mythical list, but I've seen the two you've yet to see, but haven't seen those you have, if that makes sense! Would love to see a Roller, Bee-eater or Bluethroat, but the latter would have to be a male & preferably a Red-spotted version!

Well we're doing okay between us, the only Bluethroat i've seen was a male red spotted which was rather nice, the Bee Eaters were a flock of 10:eek!: those and the roller were actually within walking distance of where i live so i've really been quite lucky.

Andy, shame we can't swap 'spare' ticks. Think I've seen a similar thread elsewhere. I've got a couple of Glossy Ibis going. An Icky would do. Transfer fees would need to be negotiated.

PS the Roller thread is getting quite funny

Last edited:
Sounds like we had the same mythical list, but I've seen the two you've yet to see, but haven't seen those you have, if that makes sense! Would love to see a Roller, Bee-eater or Bluethroat, but the latter would have to be a male & preferably a Red-spotted version!

You have just given my top ones too.
For my wife it was the Dipper, (basically cos we didn't know where to look) then someone told us where to go and we found a pair. They meant to much to her that she had tears running down her face when she saw them.

wishlist

Until recent jiggery-pokery I had seen all but one of the British breeding species. I saved up the last for a long trip around the Inner Hebrides. Brilliant! White-tailed Eagle. Boy was I happy when I connected on Eigg. :t:

Now it seems I have to see a Parrot Crossbill to complete the list |:S|

Last edited:
i had that same problem back in june when i was down there, i came out in a real bad itchy rash and hives, had to go see a quack and he gave me some pills, took a couple of weeks to clear up!!

The best thing for most folk is antihistamine as the hairs on the caterpillars irritate the histamine layer of the skin cells, the same as nettles.

How do? Could anyone give me a bit of advice on sea watcthing? I've never had a real go at it and was wondering if there were any certain weather conditions and times of day preferable to it. I was thinking of having a go at spurn so i could get chance of a rarity at same time!

How long is a piece of string?

I'll start off by saying that most of my seawatching was done in Liverpool Bay. An early start is usually a good starting point. For the east coast I would suggest that north-easterlies would be good (or any onshore strong winds). These would also bring the chance of land birds.

The winds for the next 4-5 days don't look favourable. Try http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/observations

However, I am sure that the good bods at Spurn and other east coast regulars can be more informative.

How do? Could anyone give me a bit of advice on sea watcthing? I've never had a real go at it and was wondering if there were any certain weather conditions and times of day preferable to it. I was thinking of having a go at spurn so i could get chance of a rarity at same time!

Strong northerlies (or North west to North east really) anytime from now til the end of the month are best though Oct can be good and in Nov you get Little Auk in the same conditions.

You'll need a scope and a good solid tripod with a fluid head to get the best out of it.

Flamborough usually gets bigger numbers than Spurn

And don't get carried away, it probably wont be a Sabs Gull, Cory's Shear etc. It's amazing the number of people who turn up for their one and only seawatch of the year and clean up on all the scarce species!

G

And don't get carried away,

Couldn't agree more Garry. It's not called seawatching for nothing. No idea how many hours I spent on Hilbre waiting for the tide to go out so I could go home. Then you get 300+ Leach's passing and have to go for a lie down in a sheltered spot |:D|

Having been unwell for the past few days I have not been online but the Roller situation is defo summed up with one word – Frustration! I think every birder has a mythical list of some sort and Roller is defo on my list, having said that I would not have got there last weekend for it even if it had been sat on top of the warren smoking a cigar!!!

Spring & autumn migrations will continue to throw up more missed birds on a monthly, weekly, even daily basis, for most, if not all of us, that’s the beauty of birding/nature I suppose, the unpredictability of what could turn up – was anyone expecting a Pacific Diver to turn up inland on a ‘Private’ fishing lake a few years back?

I was at Spurn on the 4th September, primarily to see a Rosefinch, one of my many bogey birds. I eventually connected with the one near the wire dump. I then had my best ever viewing of a Barred Warbler by the Canal - many thanks to the birder who put me on it. I was happy with my days birding but was then a little frustrated to find out that the Great Snipe had been seen and I was totally oblivious. Saying that, at 5pm I could count the birders around the triangle on one hand and none of them appeared to be aware of the bird either having spoken with a number of them. It was an example of a day when you needed to be in the right place at the right time and bump into someone with one of those walkie-talkies at Spurn. Never mind, I will keep watching the weather and will be back in Spurn in the next few weeks.

Oh, anybody know if the Black Redstarts are still near Langsett???

Cheers

John

Saw the Roller on Look North tonight - I know that media reporting of rarities is usually full of nonsense and errors, but the inference was the bird was still present. I know it doesn't change anything other than to be aware if it moves from where it is.

It also interviewed the two bird "spotters" who found the bird. There shouldn't be any lack of clarity in terms of what happened because notwithstanding their reported inexperience, they are birders.

Oh, anybody know if the Black Redstarts are still near Langsett???

Cheers

John

Not seen them reported for a few days (last time was 11th on BirdGuides), but then again not sure if anyone's gone to check. Probably worth a look if you're around - if you need detailed directions give me a shout.

Last edited:
Blacktoft 1600-1930 today.

Singleton - 4 Little Egret, 2 Greenshank, 4 Snipe
Townend - 1 Wood Sand, 2 Blackwit, 46 Redshank, 2 Snipe
Xerox - 1 Barn Owl almost flew in the window, 2 Greenshank
First - Some ducks and a heron
Marshland - Just ducks and 1 snipe, and a Bittern showing well for 20 minutes!
Ousefleet - 21 Ruff, 30 Curlew, 6 Snipe, 3 Pintail, loads of ducks and geese.
Townend again - As before plus 2 Dunlin and 3 of the target bird, Curlew Sand, bang in front of the hide.

Almost no small birds at all in the high winds. 4 Goldfinch, 1 Mipit and a Reed Bunt. Marsh Harriers about as always and a Kestrel. Warden saw a Merlin come into roost and thought the disappearing Spotshanks and Curlew Sands were due to a pair of Peregrines constantly flushing the waders earlier in the day.

Annoyed I took the train to Goole as there would have been some good birds for my bike list if I'd ridden the whole way.

Graham

Just watched the bit about the Roller on BBCi Player. What makes me laugh is that the person who put up the video took it down because the location might have been discovered and now here they are on the tv news telling everyone where it is. I just don't get why we had all the secrecy.
Here is the link for anyone who wants to watch the news broadcast, fast forward to 24 minutes....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00trqw2/Look_North_(Yorkshire_and_Lincolnshire)_14_09_2010/

Haven't you thought that he was getting all sorts of "advice" on whether he should put it up/take it down? It's only two days.

If you're that desperate a flight to Spain costs the same as a few trips to Spurn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back