• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (17 Viewers)

wow! your photos are fantastic! going to head over tomorrow with my fellow birdybabe ha!

Still about 40 Waxwings at the end of Primrose Hill close this afternoon. If you drive down Astley lane ,turn left into Primrose Hill Drive and take the first left down Primrose Hill close (see google maps) keep left and park by the tree covered in Waxwings!

Dave

Had a walk round our fields after work today, flushed 15 separate woodcocks from the hedgerow bottoms, also had barn owl, 2 snipe and c60 skylarks in the stubble field / set aside,

Still about 40 Waxwings at the end of Primrose Hill close this afternoon. If you drive down Astley lane ,turn left into Primrose Hill Drive and take the first left down Primrose Hill close (see google maps) keep left and park by the tree covered in Waxwings!

Dave

Thanks so much Dave, fingers crossed for tomorrow... I saw one over at Spurn Point a few months ago, but to see so many would be magical.

There's about 100 in Woodhouse Square as well. Again not the best area to be getting the optics out, but there are a lot of people coming and going so it isn't too bad. Also, if you park yourself next to the security guy on the barrier into the Clarendon wing of the LGI, it should be safe enough.

I'm after a decent Fieldfare shot tomorrow. Sorted Redwing out the other day. Plenty of winter thrushes on the new by-pass road in Wetherby. Still loads of berries, but just to make sure I stuck a load of apples on the branches today. No doubt I was getting a few strange looks.

The plan is to be in situ tomorrow before the birds, so if you hear of someone freezing to death it will be me.

I'd swap plenty of my better Waxwing shots for a decent Fieldfare.

So waxies down Woodhouse Square this year.... might just pop down tomorrow as I've dipped them at the site so often.
It's better than Beeston round there, main problem is all the parking restrictions. I felt distinctly 'out of place' in Beeston last week, never felt that in Woodhouse Square.

I thought the news that there were 3 Barn Owls found dead in the Sunk Island area, and another hit by a car in the Burton Pidsea area were bad enough, but one was also found outside a box at the Tophill Low reserve, but there is even worse news. This is second-hand information, but I've also been told that 23 have been found dead or dying in the Lower Derwent Valley in the last 3 weeks!

I've been sent some info on how landowner's can help Barn Owls survive, so if you want this sending as a word attachment, please PM me!

A real shame. Having said that prior to the run of recent mild winters we have had, through the eighties and nineties, Barn Owl was a difficult bird to connect with when I started birding. There are a lot more about now.

I know they will take dead mice/voles. The Short-eared I was photographing was stashing them. Also a mate of mine who I work with puts them on his garage roof and has owls (Barn or Tawny I guess) coming down for them. Not that they are as easy to come by as fat balls or nuts.

The Blue Tit is still in my nest box. I feel a bit guilty watching him via the box cam from the warmth of my house - makes me want to take the box down and bring him in on a night. He's hanging in there though!

Lost my virginity today and HOW.....! Met up with Markoh and his rocket launcher at Swillington this morning ( 10am til 12 ) and he'll witness how I was gang banged by about 100 of the beggers.....I can now die a happy man..
Cheers Joe :king: :t:

PS Checked through 190 images, no coloured rings but a bloke Markoh and I spoke with said he'd had one with a coloured ring, didn't catch which colour, maybe Mark can follow up..........

Great photos' Joe really pleased you finally got some.. :t:

Went to Woodhouse Square early doors. Found 1 waxwing but we didn't hang around for any length of time.

KEN... I'd already ordered the books before I got your e-mail.

Last edited:
Had bike ride on Calder Wetlands and some of Pugneys this afternoon. Loads of birds on the river - first highlight was 3 R B Mergansers including 2 cracking drakes, in amongst the many Goosanders - this around 2.30pm. Also 3 Curlew on the flood bank, lots of Redwings and a handful of Fieldfares.

Pugneys virtually frozen over so did not go over to far side from Car Park, no sign of LT Duck on bits of water I did check.

Circled back round other side of Calder Wetlands and thought I would have a final look on the river before heading home, glad I did - fantastic views of the 'white nun' Smew on the river by the motorway bridge, I was on my knees in the snow at the otherside of the flood bank to avoid disturbance - after 10 mins my knee was starting to freeze, so back home now for a Bovril!! Very glad I went out for a couple of hours.

Redpolls

some numbers back at Redhouse.Nce to meet secret twitcher! I think 2 definite meallys! 1 and 5) but what do yuo think of third bird,pics2 ,3 and 4 5.Very white bird!Probably extreme meally but any thoughts?No discernable UTC streaking.

Attachments

• redpoll21.jpg
    redpoll21.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 115
  • redpoll23.jpg
    redpoll23.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 124
  • redpoll24.jpg
    redpoll24.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 105
  • redpoll25.jpg
    redpoll25.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 106
  • redpoll22.jpg
    redpoll22.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Hi, yes more Waxwing shots. Flock of 30+ near Grove Surgery Wakefield today.

Cheers Mick

Attachments

• 1210 267 (Medium).jpg
    1210 267 (Medium).jpg
    30 KB · Views: 70
  • 1210 256 (Medium).jpg
    1210 256 (Medium).jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 1210 265 (Medium).jpg
    1210 265 (Medium).jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 63
Woodcock

Had a couple of these feeding in our garden today, and a Snipe on the margin of our pond
19thDec007.jpg

some numbers back at Redhouse.Nce to meet secret twitcher! I think 2 definite meallys! 1 and 5) but what do yuo think of third bird,pics2 ,3 and 4 5.Very white bird!Probably extreme meally but any thoughts?No discernable UTC streaking.

Paul, 1 is a Common Red. Not sure about the other two birds. The mantle on 5 looks a bit brown for Common, but the head is frosty enough.

As for the bird in 2, 3, and 4, it isn't an Arctic based on the undertail streaking - too much. Not sure either way for Common or Lesser on that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back