• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (23 Viewers)

keith/joe it was always my understanding that stormcocks were mistle thrushes but i dont want to fall out with the locals bless em!

p.s love the roundhay ramblings keith, top stuff keep it coming.

given good weather there may be some light relief in future ramblings as I have just take delivery of a new camera what does a bit more than my old one... 18x rather than 3x zoom. I'll have more chance of getting pictures now as digiscoping isn't ideal when you are moving about a lot.

given good weather there may be some light relief in future ramblings as I have just take delivery of a new camera what does a bit more than my old one... 18x rather than 3x zoom. I'll have more chance of getting pictures now as digiscoping isn't ideal when you are moving about a lot.

18x? me thinks you have scooped a panasonic lumix? if so let me know how you get on, i am trying to get to grips with digiscoping first efforts have not been great due to a naff tripod. got a new hide clamp which is much more sturdy just need some sun!

North Duffield hard work tonight, water levels up, visibility and birds down! 102 Whooper Swans. Lots less Wigeon and Teal, Coot and Shoveler up on last week, more details on blog.

I'm puzzled. Can't go anywhere without seeing or hearing Redwing but no Fieldfare. I realise that central Leeds isn't the best spot for them but where are they?

There have usually been a few in Chapel Allerton park of late, but outnumbered by Redwing severalfold. Curiously, down here in Bedfordshire where I am for the week, the reverse holds.

Graham

I don't suppose you know if Garganey Hide is under water do you? Would save me a trip, cheers

Hi Michael, I didn't visit the garganey hide today but there was a guy in Geoff Smith Hide with me who had been down there and it was fine (apart from a bit of a leak in the roof and no shutters!!)

Hope this helps, Andy

I'm puzzled. Can't go anywhere without seeing or hearing Redwing but no Fieldfare. I realise that central Leeds isn't the best spot for them but where are they?

Haven't been out since last Weds but there were loads in the Barnbow area in the grassy fields, some redwing too but they were mostly fieldfare.

Had 5 Bramblings gritting on the a165 next to the grain store, west of Fridaythorpe today at 1330. I had heard from Ollie & Tim there were some present but I didn't expect them from the car in the road - good job for the White rumps!

Allerthorpe woods

Freezing wind, rubbish light but plenty of great tits (20+) coal tits (5-7) blue tits (10+) marsh and/or willow tits (10-15) chaffinch (5) plus plenty of robins and blackbirds. and the star performer of the afternoon.(thumbnail) but even he got fed up after 5 minutes!!

Attachments

• tc1.jpg
    tc1.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Great Grey Shrike at North Duffield Carrs

Second Shrike species in 9 months...amazing! The bird appeared to go to roost in the hedge to the left of the Geoff Smith Hide. Great weekend B :)

More on my Blog...

E Yorks Barn Owls

Had 2 today, one at Emmottland(1140) the other between N Frodingham and ?Beaford 1230.
Loads Sanderling Fraisthorpe beach but it was coooooold!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back