• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (17 Viewers)

Second Shrike species in 9 months...amazing! The bird appeared to go to roost in the hedge to the left of the Geoff Smith Hide. Great weekend B :)

More on my Blog...

Top notch Alan nice one,this idiot (me) decided to give the GS hide a miss today even though its just about walking distance from my house.

Love the blog!!

Last edited:
Top notch Alan nice one,this idiot (me) decided to give the GS hide a miss today even though its just about walking distance from my house.

Love the blog!!

Very kind. Would have missed it myself except for help from a couple of fellow Birders! Thanks again lads...
Might be worth a peep first thing tomorrow?

Last edited:
Great afternoon at North Duffield Carrs - Great Grey Shrike sat right in front of the hide - good to meet some of the locals - thanks for the mention in the blog alan.
Further details of the Great Grey Shrike and some AMAZING photos on my blog now...

Just found out this morning when doing a trudge round Staveley YWT in the mud and rain that Nosterfield NR had a Shore Lark by the main lake last weekend.

Highlight at Staveley today was Pintail on West Lagoon.

Great Grey Shrike still from Geoff Smith Hide, North Duffield Carrs, this morning 8.10-20am at least. The bird favoured bushes around the scrape.
Also, 70+ Whooper Swans first thing and a Barn Owl.
I will bung some shaky shots on the blog tonight.
Cheers Jono

I don't think the Shore Lark at Noster stayed around for long,it went on their web over a week ago.Good news about the Staveley Pintail,might get there tomorrow,usually plenty on interest there and only a short drive from home.

No sign of the Shrike at North Duffield Carrs mid/late morn (spent about 50 mins in the Geoff Smith hide) so i headed off to Blacktoft Sands, had great views of 2 Long Eared owls roosting by the Xerox hide
LongEaredOwls001.jpg

I managed to get 10 minutes with the Great Grey Shrike this morning, some more useless pictures on my blog. Good to meet up with some more local birders today.

Cheers, Andy

Todays efforts

No show shrike, but will be back tomorrow, plenty of whoopers,widgeon, teal and lots of lapwing,coots,moorhen,grey lags ,shovelor,mutes but bird numbers in general down on recent days. both north duff hides open not flooded,

Then onto north cave, loads of redshank,widgeon,mutes,tufted, siskin on feeders but no water rail.

Attachments

• w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 82
  • th1.jpg
    th1.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 69
  • oc1.jpg
    oc1.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 68
  • sd1.jpg
    sd1.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Interesting Cormorant in Mirfield

Not sure of how much interest this will be but whilst at Sand's Lane today (Ring-Bill present at 1.30) I came across an unusaul Cormorant which I think shows features of the continental race Sinensis. Not really sure how unusual this is but after doing a bit of research I am now aware of the difficulties involved in splitting Carbo and Sinensis in the field. Still thought this was an interesting bird though and worth a mention.

Can't upload pics for some reason so if anyone is interested, photos of the bird are on my blog...

Hi all,
Does anyone know if the Long Eared Owls are still present at Blacktoft, cannot make it until tomorrow but would be nice to know if they are sticking around. I'll keep my fingers crossed and make do with the Harriers if I miss out.
Cheers
Dave.

Carcroft Tip

Does anyone know where Carcroft Tip is ?

A Glauc and a Caspian Gull were reported from there today.
Wondered if anyone knows where you view from and what sort of numbers of Gulls it's been getting.
Would be good to have somewhere local to look at Gulls ,now that Poolsbrook and the Sheffield tips aren't doing it.

Pete.

Hi all,
Does anyone know if the Long Eared Owls are still present at Blacktoft, cannot make it until tomorrow but would be nice to know if they are sticking around. I'll keep my fingers crossed and make do with the Harriers if I miss out.
Cheers
Dave.

2 birds roosting next to the Xerox Hide yesterday :t:

Request for photos

Hull Valley Wildlife Group is looking for photographs of birds and other wildlife, rare or otherwise, taken in the area during 2010 for a forthcoming small annual report.
Any pictures would be gratefully received.
The HVWG recording area is shown here: http://www.hullvalleywildlifegroup.co.uk/page3.html
Please PM me if you would like to contribute.
All published photographs will be credited.

Thank you

Andrew

Does anyone know where Carcroft Tip is ?

A Glauc and a Caspian Gull were reported from there today.
Wondered if anyone knows where you view from and what sort of numbers of Gulls it's been getting.
Would be good to have somewhere local to look at Gulls ,now that Poolsbrook and the Sheffield tips aren't doing it.

Pete.

HI Pete,
Carcroft tip is on Bentley Moor Lane, DN6 7BD.
best of luck
Dave

Hull Valley Wildlife Group is looking for photographs of birds and other wildlife, rare or otherwise, taken in the area during 2010 for a forthcoming small annual report.
Any pictures would be gratefully received.
The HVWG recording area is shown here: http://www.hullvalleywildlifegroup.co.uk/page3.html
Please PM me if you would like to contribute.
All published photographs will be credited.

Thank you

Andrew

Hi Andrew
just wondered exactly what you are interested in.eg I have some fab pics of Kingfisher at Tophill..but guessing u might have tons of these.Can you narrow it down slightly....I would like to contribute

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back