• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (21 Viewers)

Had a walk round Lotherton Hall today including a visit to the bird garden. There was a white stork in there without any rings and it looked to be full winged, as there was a sign on the paddock fence for white stork it was obviously meant to be there as I couldn't see any other white storks in the paddock. Anybody know if the bird is full winged?
Best bit of the Bird Garden is the walk through aviary, an African Experience. Sacred ibis, waldrop, hammerkopf, cranes and whistling ducks plus some pigeons birds that I couldn't id. Really quite good being able to get a picture of a waldrop without having the cage bars in the way.

I've not been since they started charging for car parking (typical tight Tyke) but last time I was there the White Stork was definitely pinioned.
It used to be quite good for Bramblings around where they feed the deer, did you check out that area?

17 Waxwings in my Leeds garden this afternoon in glorious sunshine, feeding on Cotoneaster down to ten yards. Really pleased they've finally found this tree; it took them until March to get here in the last invasion.

Unfortunately not viewable from any public highway, but they are sure to be commuting around the Gledhow and Chapel Allerton areas. I'd happily invite people in but I'll be away for a few days (see next post) and they are communal gardens behind gates and I don't think the other residents would approve.

Graham

Presumably the same flock has been reported from the Roundhay Road Tesco car park recently, so that might be worth a try.

I've not been since they started charging for car parking (typical tight Tyke) but last time I was there the White Stork was definitely pinioned.
It used to be quite good for Bramblings around where they feed the deer, did you check out that area?

Might be worth giving the new bike a run up there this weekend then, that or Swilly.

Scarborough

4 adult Med Gulls at Holbeck Hall car park, and the juvie Iceland Gull still in the harbour this afternoon
Gulls007.jpg

Gulls011.jpg

Thanks Paul, the stork was down at the opposite end of the paddock so I didn't get a really good view of it.
We did go down to the deer Paul, I'd no bins with me as it wasn't a birding trip. The feeding area was quite a way from the footpath so whilst I could see lots of finches they weren't close enough for me to really be sure on species.

Keith I'm shocked, have you had them surgically removed? - I'm never without my bins, although I have to stress no tools are left in my 'van' overnight!!!!!

When out with 'she who must be obeyed' it is wiser not to have bins. My ribs aren't what they were and 'er elbows are getting bonier!;)

Its not a redpoll..I promise ...!

Redhouse still producing lovely birds and photo opportunities...but no cigar re arctic.This siskn however allowed really close approach..but he was watching me!!!

Attachments

• siskin11.jpg
    siskin11.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 70
10 waxwing in Leeds this morning, in trees in Woodhouse Moor whilst walking from Hyde Park Corner across to the university. Also loads of redwings, many subsinging. Nice.

Snow Bunting

Thanks for the map Joe, I drove up from Baildon this afternoon and found the CP without difficulty. Saw two skylarks feeding close to the CP immediately but unfortunately I dipped on the Snow Buntings. What with the golfers and the dog walkers I am amazed that anything hangs around!

Graeme

Last edited:
Thanks for the map Joe, I drove up from Baildon this afternoon and found the CP without difficulty. Saw two skylarks feeding close to the CP immediately but unfortunately I dipped on the Snow Buntings. What with the golfers and the dog walkers I am amazed that anything hangs around!

Graeme

I can only imagine they've gone then Graeme because they were so near, approx. 15m and were not phased too much by human activity. It was this behaviour that led you to believe they were "hand reared" with reports of someone throwing seed down to keep them around. Maybe he's run out of seed............! I have read reports that where they are more common they are like Chaffinches at a picnic table.
This mornings weekly BG report has them still there, but exactly when that report was .........................Who knows..?
Still,glad you found it ok, it's nice to get summat rait.. :t:

When out with 'she who must be obeyed' it is wiser not to have bins. My ribs aren't what they were and 'er elbows are getting bonier!;)

I wear body armour for the ribs Keith and my "bony elbows" are useful for my defense against my bloke! Did you say hi to my duck? She now lives at Lotherton and doesn't look likely to leave even though she is free to do so (long story).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back