• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (19 Viewers)

Out of county for me last weekend to Anglesey, glorious weather and a lifer in the form of 4 semi tame choughs.

Also lesser redpoll on the niger feeders at home.

Mark.

Drake Smew still present up to 16.45 today at Flask Lake,Nosterfield but no sign of Whoopers or Shore Lark on nearby reserve.Good views of both Goldeneye and G.C.Grebe displaying.

Just an update to say thanks to everyone who has sponsored me and report that I'm in Leeds, a little over half way, having raised £385 to date...

Miles total 128
Time total 12:50:41
Average speed 10 mph
Max speed 39 mph
Miles onroad 100
Miles offroad 28
Bike + luggage weight 39kg
Speed limits exceeded 3
Times airborne 1
Punctures 0
Species Recorded 56
Money raised £385

Hoping for a tailwind from here. The northeasterly blowing over the Pennines was a killer. Will reach Bridlington on Tuesday afternoon and then the final short leg to Bempton Cliffs on Wednesday morning.

RSPB... http://www.justgiving.com/rspbrosespootle/
Jole Rider... http://www.justgiving.com/joleriderrosespootle

Graham

Didn't know you'd got the invisible man for company there Graham (4th image) good work lad..! Hope the wind's at your back and the sun's in your face .....hope the goolies are not too saddle sore either....:-O :t:
Joe

20 waxwings Morten St / Stanley St Hull this afternoon feeding on berry bush adjacent to the clinic. Spent all winter with an eye open for them and finally see some walking to tesco express from work. No bins but only 15 feet away, great views in the sunshine.

Ldv

A couple of hours at the gs hide this afternoon,plenty of Teal,Widgeon,Shoveler,Lapwing,Curlew,Tufted, Mallard,Gulls a plenty,Redshank,... Mutes and two Hoopers,1x Black swan, not many geese about!.

Reed buntings, Chaffinch,Robin, Great,blue and Long tailed tits, Tree sparrows,Starlings,Crow and Jackdaw,Pheasant

and a partridge in a pear tree!!!

and then at 3.15pm the hunter and the hunted.............

Attachments

• bo1.jpg
    bo1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 70
  • bo2.jpg
    bo2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 72
  • fv1.jpg
    fv1.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 81
  • fv2.jpg
    fv2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 90
BEMPTON

Hi, Has anyone been to Bempton Cliffs lately. Just wondered what birds had arrived at their breeding grounds and is it a little early for the Puffins to arrive. Cannot wait to get some decent photo's of these birds, but do not want to get there before the birds do. Cost of petrol too expensive nowadays for wasted journeys.
Dave.

BEMPTON

Hi, Has anyone been to Bempton Cliffs lately. Just wondered what birds had arrived at their breeding grounds and is it a little early for the Puffins to arrive. Cannot wait to get some decent photo's of these birds, but do not want to get there before the birds do. Cost of petrol too expensive nowadays for wasted journeys.
Dave.

Hi Dave
I find mid May - June is about right.
Stan.

BEMPTON

Dave.

Hi David, from what I have heard the Puffins and other seabirds have arrived back at Bempton in fairly large numbers. Check Michael Flowers blog,
http://www.eybirdwatching.blogspot.com/
I believe he is also there today.
Flamborough at low tide is better for viewing Puffins at closer quarters, when you view them from the beach they are often flying over your head to the cliffs.
Vince

Cant be classed as anything special anymore as I reported a Pink Footed Goose to Birdguides Monday morning but just noticed its not on the website.....may get in touch with them and ask what wont be put on the website as I dont want to waste my time. Its not my first wasted report|:(|

Anyway - anybody interested - there was 1 bird on Calder Wetlands on Sunday Evening, no sign of the Common Scoters during a brief visit.

BEMPTON

Dave.

There were very few Puffins at Bempton today & numbers of Guillemots & Razorbills were down a lot from last Friday

BEMPTON
Thanks for all the info. I will probably pop over next week and take in Flamborough as well. Been to Blacktoft today the three long eared owls are still there, about seven marsh harriers, female merlin showed twice, a dozen black tailed godwits & 4 snipe were the highlights.
Dave.

Has any one got any records of Eagle owl in the Hull or Hessle area, exact dates not needed but month and year would be useful.

I've sent you an email of the Hessle Eagle Owl photographed (badly) in a garden Dec 2009. Just a day or 2 before that I had another report from a non-birder of a large Owl perched on a roof in the Marfleet area - this sounded as though it could have been another Eagle Owl. Will try & track down that email too.

A couple of hours at the gs hide this afternoon,plenty of Teal,Widgeon,Shoveler,Lapwing,Curlew,Tufted, Mallard,Gulls a plenty,Redshank,... Mutes and two Hoopers,1x Black swan, not many geese about!.

Reed buntings, Chaffinch,Robin, Great,blue and Long tailed tits, Tree sparrows,Starlings,Crow and Jackdaw,Pheasant

and a partridge in a pear tree!!!

and then at 3.15pm the hunter and the hunted.............

Nice pics Zing.........are you the chap who was in the hide on his own when 3 of us came in about 4ish yesterday....? :t:

Andy/Michael any more developments on the bird found in Hessle last winter, or is this what you are trying to piece together? Also Michael, would love to know details of the photo if possible. Where exactly was it? I live in Hessle you see and am just interested. pm me if sensitive info. Thanks if you can.

Coast to Coast Fundrasing Ride Update

A following wind helped me complete the last 72 miles on Tuesday and I made it to Bempton Cliffs late afternoon, unfortunately just as the cafe was closing. I couldn't find a puffin, either. The sunset was glorious though, and I even have a bit of a tan.

My 232 miles in five days from Leighton Moss to Bempton Cliffs has raised £572 so far for the RSPB and Jole Rider. Many thanks again to all who contributed.

RSPB... http://www.justgiving.com/rspbrosespootle/
Jole Rider... http://www.justgiving.com/joleriderrosespootle

Still have to tot up the trip list but think it's around eighty species, although oddly not a meadow pipit the whole way.

Graham

Attachments

• IMG_0646.JPG
    IMG_0646.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0673 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0673 - Copy.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0700.JPG
    IMG_0700.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0713 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0713 - Copy.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Nice pics Zing.........are you the chap who was in the hide on his own when 3 of us came in about 4ish yesterday....? :t:

cheers Joespy,

I think it must have been me,what a pity we did not recognise each other,
maybe we should have a "special handshake or a magic password !!!"

anyway nice to meet you, three top birders, and very entertaining.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back