• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (16 Viewers)

Having to work today but a lack of buses this morning left me walking into town on the canal. I was rewarded with a pair of nesting grey wagtails.

Still present at 8.30AM

Thanks for the update - I got there at 9.30 ...... they had just vacated the pond with a Coot in close proximity !

I stayed there for two hours and they didn't emerge - I've come home now and just seen them reported on Birdguides :-(

Just wondering how to find out if they are still around later this evening ?

Mal Skelton

Thanks for the update - I got there at 9.30 ...... they had just vacated the pond with a Coot in close proximity !

I stayed there for two hours and they didn't emerge - I've come home now and just seen them reported on Birdguides :-(

Just wondering how to find out if they are still around later this evening ?

Mal Skelton

What time you thinking of coming through, let me know and i will post on here 3/4 hour before.

Just had a Purple Heron fly low West along Livinstone Road, Hessle. It was being mobbed by crows and banked off toward the Humber shore. I'll have a look on the way home from work but theres a lot of reed bed near here.

Marc

Just witnessed a spectacular 4 species crow fight outside the house between Jay, Magpie, Carrion crow and jackdaw.

As far as I can tell the carrion crow has come away with an egg from the jay's and the jackdaw and magpie were trying to get in on the act.

Just had an amazing garden visitor for urban Hull!

Better than any Royal Wedding!!! In the last hour a Ring Ouzel came in for a drink and a bath - smashes that Reed Warbler out of the way!

I need a drink - shame it's too early!

It was too close for me to upload a pic directly on here, but this link may take you to a pic: http://twitpic.com/4r2rc8

What time you thinking of coming through, let me know and i will post on here 3/4 hour before.

Andrew

Sorry for not replying, I was dragged to a street party before I saw your post

Doesn't look like I'm getting back out tonight - fingers crossed they stay ( and are visible ) over the rest of the weekend.

Still managed a lifer this morning ( Lesser Whitethroat ) and saw 2 Ring Ouzels, so a very productive morning ...... just no Garganey

Mal Skelton

Collard pratincole

I had a nice couple of hours with the Yorkshire;) collard pratincole (albeit fractionally out of county) today.
It gave good views as it hawked insects up to about 1.00 today then completely disappeared (apparently coming back again this evening).
More shots on the blog for anyone interested.

Attachments

• untitled-9.JPG
    untitled-9.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 96
  • untitled-6.JPG
    untitled-6.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 62
  • untitled-10.JPG
    untitled-10.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 86
Andrew

Sorry for not replying, I was dragged to a street party before I saw your post

Doesn't look like I'm getting back out tonight - fingers crossed they stay ( and are visible ) over the rest of the weekend.

Still managed a lifer this morning ( Lesser Whitethroat ) and saw 2 Ring Ouzels, so a very productive morning ...... just no Garganey

Mal Skelton

Hi Mal. I was in the hide to your right, said I was going to sit it out and wait. They dropped out of the sky just around two o'clock, almost six hours after I arrived.

Attachments

• P4280231.JPG
    P4280231.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Had another trip out of county over the bridge after work this aft, heres my best pic of the Pratincole, one reported at Spurn this evening too according to RBA , the same bird??
CollaredPratincole001edited.jpg

I can remember a good few years ago when there was a garganey at Blacktoft Sands, usually seen from the Ousefleet hide. I went along and spent ages in the hide along with a large number of other birders. I finally got fed up and left the hide, as I walked down the path I glanced over to the right at the wet grassland west of the hide. B*****r me if the drake garganey wasn't out there feeding, considerately I went back to the hide to let the others know about the bird. I was almost crushed in the rush.
Best one though was a drake present at Fairburn Ings one year, the bird had no fear what so ever. It took up residence on the main lake not far from the new feeding point. It didn't give a stuff about kids whanging lumps of bread at it, just kept on cruising about looking for a lady friend.

Did my atlas square in Holgate today - quiet wasnt the word but its out the way... Also caught up with Ollie who gave me a tour of Hes East. Quite a bit of habitat that! Wood Sandpiper was there which was nice. On the drive bak this evening had a badger crossing the road on Garrowby hill as well. Top notch.

After getting my first Yellow Wagtail earlier this week I now bump into four more, but just take a look at the different colour plumages.

Attachments

• IMG_1615.JPG
    IMG_1615.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1617.JPG
    IMG_1617.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1671.JPG
    IMG_1671.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1678.JPG
    IMG_1678.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 71
Nice wagtails Dave - right hand bird looks a bit like a female blue-headed to me.

Thanks for the input Stuart, I had my doubts about that bird but it was mixing in well with the others and following them all over the banking, but I thought the blue head was apparent on female blue headed. But yes the white eye stripe certainly fits in. I will visit again and keep my eyes peeled for a male sighting. I've heard a dozen Yellows have been spotted at this location.
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back