• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (17 Viewers)

My best garden birds are Siskin, Redpoll & Reed Bunting. Not too bad for the middle of an estate. I expect that to climb as i have planted tons of trees annd bushes and built a pond. I expect Mr Flowers might have some corkers on the subject of a garden list.

I don't keep any sort of lists, but Whimbrel have flown over. We had that Central Asian Lesser Whitethroat for 5 months the other winter & then of course the Ring Ouzel was pretty special in late April this year. 8-P

summer was cancelled due to a scheduling problem at seasons are us, they've buggered it up completely and stuffed 2 autumns in to fill the gap.

as for garden listing i use jane turners rules, i.e. anything which can be identified using scope at max mag goes on it

You've got the wrong end of the stick - we had a lovely summer - in April ;)

Yippee! The library just called (automagically) to say the Gulls book is available. Prepare to be bored unless there are any interesting waders about. I should get out more

Last edited:
The predictions list from the Yorkshire Birding Vol 18 No 2 goes as follows (in order of votes by 9 top listers)
  1. Blyth's Pipit
  2. Sociable Lapwing (plover)
  3. Greater Yellowlegs
  4. Eastern Olivaceous Warbler... arrived Aug 2010
  5. Siberian Rubythroat
  6. Trumpeter Finch
  7. Syke's Warbler
  8. Eastern Bonelli's Warbler
  9. Mongolian Plover
  10. Forster's Tern
  11. Upland Sandpiper
  12. Slender-billed Gull
  13. Siberian Thrush
  14. Buff-bellied Pipit
  15. Sora
I'm not aware of any of the others in the list having arrived. The article was spread over 3 volumes and nigh on a dozen pages so haven't scanned it.

Amongst them. There was an article in Yorkshire Birding the other year where several birders were asked about likely predictions but I can't remember what was in it – maybe someone could scan it.

Other 'missing' stuff includes, amongst many others:

Sooty Tern just got to wait for one to get into the North Sea and a good chance off Flams no doubt
Black Scoter maybe but we don’t get the number of scoter flocks off the coast that we used to, how about an inland bird with a passage flock of Common Scoter?
Eleonora's Falcon possible (but ID retrospectively from photos posted on BF probably)
Sora seem to like random places and must be overlooked in UK due to their habitat preference
Wilson’s Snipe probably pass through amongst the thousands of Common Snipe going through the county
Greater Yellowlegs will no doubt occur at some point
Brünnich's Guillemot bit of a long shot, maybe a coastal corpse somewhere
Buff-bellied Pipit possible given the number of Mipits that go through the county from points west….
Siberian Rubythroat must be in the offing given the increase in eastern Palearctic vagrants; based on our geographical position then that applies to any of the mouthwatering ‘sibes’ not yet on the Yorks (or British list)

Plenty to go at really:eek!:

I was going to say Syke's - wasn't sure if it was on the YB prediction list.

Now we've had them both what about White-winged Scoter off Barmston, or Eastern Crowned Warbler in South Landing?

The one thing I think the article overlooked were the potential splits, recent BBRC changes, and those species currently on the edge of acceptance on to the British list.

So Keith, whilst the above list is the purists list I think the reality will be something a bit less exciting:-

Hooded Merganser
Ross's Goose
Lesser Canada Goose
Aren't there some self-supportings being considered - Black Swan, Muscovy Duck etc. and I'm sure there are others I can't think of.

Judging by the current Yorkshire Birding I'd put my money on Ring-necked Parakeet;)

Edit - another possibility - a split of the Subalpine's?

Last edited:
As someone who got back into birding last year I'm happy to have got some armchair ticks. Fingers crossed. Maybe Sibe Stonechat will make it on to the list.

Day to day it varies between 200 and 2000 but several thousand are meandering up and down the holderness coast so I guess it's slightly weather dependent. Managed some snaps of the local water vole today but the cloud was in at 20.30 so shot very slow and soft. Great photo op if the sun is shining. Also a kingfisher - my first in the village.

Many thanks for the info James, went yesterday pm and got some great shots, much appreciated ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0738wvsmall.jpg
    IMG_0738wvsmall.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0828wvsmall.jpg
    IMG_0828wvsmall.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0872wvsmall.jpg
    IMG_0872wvsmall.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0794wvsmall.jpg
    IMG_0794wvsmall.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 67
Got to Blacktofts Sands last night and managed decent views of the Marsh Sandpiper for 5 minutes from the screen until it took to flight (probably back to Marshland). Cant believe its still there after all this time, by the time I get to go see such birds they are usually long gone........ Also there were several ruff, several spotted redshank, 2 green sandpipers, 5 snipe in flight, 4 little egrets, 3 Marsh Harriers, etc but did not catch the Spoonbills. Unfortunatley my time was ltd so may have missed them due to that or do they go to roost in late evening elsewhere?

Thanks for previous info provided.

Hi,any news from the Wykeham watchpoint regarding Honey Buzzards please,i will be visiting next week,are any times better than others,any tips,hints or anything else in the area would be great,are there any Woodlark or Tree Pipits in the area?,Whinchat would also be nice(don't want a lot do i)Thankyou for any replies.

Not been to Wykeham since last month, I would expect tripits to still be around, plus xbills, siskin and turtles.
Hunnies are fickle critters, I believe this year the best direction to be looking to see them is sort of NNE when stood at the watchpoint. Most of the action I know about has taken place in that sort of direction.
Best of luck.

Not been to Wykeham since last month, I would expect tripits to still be around, plus xbills, siskin and turtles.
Hunnies are fickle critters, I believe this year the best direction to be looking to see them is sort of NNE when stood at the watchpoint. Most of the action I know about has taken place in that sort of direction.
Best of luck.

I have always connected after 10.30am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back