• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (19 Viewers)

Looks like Filey's the place to be Jim, 2 Olive Backed Pipits this afternoon

Indeed, guess who was in top scrub at 15:00, who then went to Filey Dams and checked his phone at 16:05 to see if anything had been reported in the area before he set off home.

To be honest I doubt I would have id'd it even if I saw it and noticed it wasn't a mipit. Nets were up all day in top scrub, was it the ringers that got them?

For that good map of Flamborough worth getting a copy of the 2010 report its inside the cover,very useful.We are there tomorrow weather report not brill

Thanks to Keith i managed to find old fall, met a fellow birder who told me where the yellow browed warbler was sighted, went down and bumped into two guys who had just finished ringing,told me exactly where to stand and bingo two minutes later it was right in front of me,

You sure you found Old Fall? Ringers were working in Holmes Gut this morning not OF.

You sure you found Old Fall? Ringers were working in Holmes Gut this morning not OF.

Hi Jim, was tipped off at old fall then went to Holmes Gut in the afternnon guy on motorbike and one in car gave me the details just as they were leaving. (the original message is confusing having re read it) Hope this clears it up.

Started at Flamborough, very quiet, a highly coloured wheatear was on the golf course whilst along Old Fall hedge I had a (poor) distant view of a firecrest and a (poor) close view of a Yellow Browed warbler. Whilst scanning the hedge I missed a woodcock that flushed from 2'. Nothing else worth mentioning.

Moved on to Filey, much more to see; on the Brigg 3 Knot 2 RP, 2 Grey Plover, a few Purps, sanderling and dunlin. A cormorant was snorkelling at about 3' distance (seriously) and 2 blackbirds, robin and a woodcock landed exhausted on the brigg, redwing coming in off all day. Loads of common scoter off the end and a couple of velvets were also present. Two snow bunting at the pond, no olive backed pipits. Snaps to follow.

Moved on to Filey, much more to see; on the Brigg 3 Knot 2 RP, 2 Grey Plover, a few Purps, sanderling and dunlin. A cormorant was snorkelling at about 3' distance (seriously) and 2 blackbirds, robin and a woodcock landed exhausted on the brigg, redwing coming in off all day. Loads of common scoter off the end and a couple of velvets were also present. Two snow bunting at the pond, no olive backed pipits. Snaps to follow.

Sounds like a good day James.

Hopefully some decent stuff will be still there on Saturday. Heading that way with the family for a day out.

Richard

Snaps from yesterday

Attachments

• IMG_2858_filtered.jpg
    IMG_2858_filtered.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2941_filtered.jpg
    IMG_2941_filtered.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2981_filtered_1.jpg
    IMG_2981_filtered_1.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3051_filtered_1.jpg
    IMG_3051_filtered_1.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3158_filtered.jpg
    IMG_3158_filtered.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 82
Managed brief views of the OBP at filey this afternoon. Even managed a pic which came out ok seeing as I underexposed it badly and it was crawling about on the floor in top scrub. Shot on the blog.

Managed brief views of the OBP at filey this afternoon. Even managed a pic which came out ok seeing as I underexposed it badly and it was crawling about on the floor in top scrub. Shot on the blog.

Was observing a ringing session at Kew, Kilnsea when a Pallas' Warbler turned up in the garden. It was a lifer for all of my students & the best views of one I've ever seen - hovering as it plucked greenfly from leaves when the pale rump was visible. Unfortunately, big lens was in the car, as I was expecting to photograph birds in the hand! Ian Smith was taking pics, so they may be on the Spurn blog later.

The morning group had a Firecrest, so they were happy too ;)

Had a reasonable morning today on Flamborough headland,very obliging Firecrest in gorse below lighthouse along with Woodcock and a mixture of incoming thrushes.From cliffs there was Red Throated Diver,Twite and a couple of Woodcock coming in.
Less success at South Landing maybe because it was 1/2 term and a few families were enjoying the area also the wind direction seemed to change.

Crappy record pic of the Filey Olive backed Pipit i took this morn

Olive-backedPipit002edited.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back