• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (1 Viewer)

Hi Guys,

I know some of you are involved in local politics and I am looking for your help in regards to the article below. The short of it is that Irish coarse fish stocks are under severe pressure especially Pike as they are being killed sold and eaten. The Central fisheries board want to reduce the legal size limit of Pike that can be killed. I believe there should be a NO KILL policy for all native irish species.
Any please read and thanks for your time

John Chambers, Chairman, IFPAC became aware today of very distrurbing news regarding possible moves by the Central Fisheries Boards to change the current pike bye law. Please read below:

"In 2006 Ireland got a new pike bye law which limited anglers to 1 pike for the table each day. Anglers could not kill a pike in excess of 50cms.
A year ago the Central Fisheries Board contacted the Irish Federation of Pike angling Clubs (I.F.P.A.C.) to say that they were considering asking the Minister to increase the size of pike an angler could kill to 75cms. They said that they were under severe pressure from tourism interests to do this. We decided to use the Freedom of Information Act to get info of complaints made to all the Fisheries Boards. We found out that 2 individual Swiss anglers, 5 individual German anglers and tour operators Andrees Angelreisen and Kingfisher Reisen had complained and wanted to be able to kill bigger pike. The P.A.C. wrote in support of the new bye laws.
It appears that the Central Board are still trying to move this along. I believe that the C.F.B. committee who completed the C.F.B. Pike Policy Review (many years ago) are to be asked to meet again to look at recommending an increase in the size of pike anglers can kill. They are using these few requests as justification.
I.F.P.A.C. would ask all pike anglers, clubs, conservation minded tour operators etc to send emails to the Central Fisheries Boards Director of Marketing David Byrne asking that No change be made to the current pike bye laws. Lets make sure that the NO vote greatly outnumbers the yes vote. Please send your email to [email protected]

Black Guillemots at Giles quay

As of the 24th of May there were still no eggs laid but between then and 5th June six pairs have produced nine eggs. Interestingly the black guillemots ousted a pair of jackdaws that had occupied one nesting hole and have an egg sitting in the jackdaw nest. All 16 nesting holes are apparently occupied. Four of the newer holes are occupied, versus two of the older...thisis the third year of this project and very pleased to see a total increase in adult numbers at Giles quay, Greenore and apparently Clogherhead - though have not visited recently - if anybody has any news i'd be interested.

http://www.birdslouth.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/breffni

Attachments

• black guillemot pair giles quay.jpg
    black guillemot pair giles quay.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 63
  • black guillemot giles quay june.jpg
    black guillemot giles quay june.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Derek or anyone I am wondering if I could have witnessed young Starlings leaving or trying to leave the nest that day for the first time. I now have a family of very juvenile Starlings who look absolutely nothing like adults and at distance such dark droopy eyes so of course the doubt is in my mind was it them I saw sort of tumbling out of the nest or clinging nervously to branches for first time perhaps. Would Starlings have nests in very high Hawthorn trees or perhaps adults brought them there. They have no white presently under chin where I saw it that day clearly but perhaps the white disappears as they grow a bit. A few youngsters are coming to patio door and I cant help noticing how different their faces especially eyes are to the adult and how there is even sort of orangey colour on their back or sides.
Mind you I notice the query Swifts are back swooping around very fast since sun returned yesterday.

Hi Gareth

I'll look into this and (regarding local politics) get back to you when i have recovered!

Hi Guys,

I know some of you are involved in local politics and I am looking for your help in regards to the article below. The short of it is that Irish coarse fish stocks are under severe pressure especially Pike as they are being killed sold and eaten. The Central fisheries board want to reduce the legal size limit of Pike that can be killed. I believe there should be a NO KILL policy for all native irish species.
Any please read and thanks for your time

John Chambers, Chairman, IFPAC became aware today of very distrurbing news regarding possible moves by the Central Fisheries Boards to change the current pike bye law. Please read below:

"In 2006 Ireland got a new pike bye law which limited anglers to 1 pike for the table each day. Anglers could not kill a pike in excess of 50cms.
A year ago the Central Fisheries Board contacted the Irish Federation of Pike angling Clubs (I.F.P.A.C.) to say that they were considering asking the Minister to increase the size of pike an angler could kill to 75cms. They said that they were under severe pressure from tourism interests to do this. We decided to use the Freedom of Information Act to get info of complaints made to all the Fisheries Boards. We found out that 2 individual Swiss anglers, 5 individual German anglers and tour operators Andrees Angelreisen and Kingfisher Reisen had complained and wanted to be able to kill bigger pike. The P.A.C. wrote in support of the new bye laws.
It appears that the Central Board are still trying to move this along. I believe that the C.F.B. committee who completed the C.F.B. Pike Policy Review (many years ago) are to be asked to meet again to look at recommending an increase in the size of pike anglers can kill. They are using these few requests as justification.
I.F.P.A.C. would ask all pike anglers, clubs, conservation minded tour operators etc to send emails to the Central Fisheries Boards Director of Marketing David Byrne asking that No change be made to the current pike bye laws. Lets make sure that the NO vote greatly outnumbers the yes vote. Please send your email to [email protected]

wag shot

As of the 24th of May there were still no eggs laid but between then and 5th June six pairs have produced nine eggs. Interestingly the black guillemots ousted a pair of jackdaws that had occupied one nesting hole and have an egg sitting in the jackdaw nest. All 16 nesting holes are apparently occupied. Four of the newer holes are occupied, versus two of the older...thisis the third year of this project and very pleased to see a total increase in adult numbers at Giles quay, Greenore and apparently Clogherhead - though have not visited recently - if anybody has any news i'd be interested

http://www.birdslouth.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/breffni

Went to cork for royal tern and only got this shot...

Attachments

• juv wag1.jpg
    juv wag1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 68
Not many terns so far this year - not sure if there is anthing at all going on on green island at present - they made a start a few weeks ago but since the rainstorm they seem to have moved away. Storm petrels and manxies on view yesterday in that south easterly.

Little Tern Conservation Project.
Things going well so far in Baltray. We have 37 nests with 88 eggs with the first eggs due to hatch soon. This is a critical time and we had heavy losses in the 2 years gone by, so we are wardening from 4 am to 11 pm in the hope of preventing predation this year. Fingers crossed!

looks like quite a rainstorm tuesday night but fingers crossed - we could be finished by end july if the first brood holds!

walking in the cooleys yesterday came across several pairs of wheatear with juvs, but no dotteral...

We are thinking of orgnising a pelagic into the irish sea in august this year. I've priced a few boats from carlingford lough which work out at about 50 euros per person for 12 for four hours, but its probably quicker to get out from port oriel - anybody intrested please let me know: [email protected]

Little Tern Conservation Project.
Things going well so far in Baltray. We have 37 nests with 88 eggs with the first eggs due to hatch soon. This is a critical time and we had heavy losses in the 2 years gone by, so we are wardening from 4 am to 11 pm in the hope of preventing predation this year. Fingers crossed!

The Kilcoole colony suffered HEAVY losses after the NE blow on the 6th June. Out of 40 nests only 6 survived the waves and there are currently only around 8 still active!!!

Not looking good I'm afraid...

Niall

The Kilcoole colony suffered HEAVY losses after the NE blow on the 6th June. Out of 40 nests only 6 survived the waves and there are currently only around 8 still active!!!

Not looking good I'm afraid...

Niall

That's really devastating for Kilcoole. It makes it all the more important for the Baltray project to succeed this year so that there are decent numbers of Little Terns successfully breeding in Ireland. We are now at 40 nests with 93 eggs and we expect these numbers to increase. The risk of predation is huge and we can only take it one day at a time. I really wish that we had the funding to put full time wardening in place, as it is we are relying on volunteers for most of the day with paid wardens early morning and late night but we don't have the money to put all night wardening in place.

There is another site in wexford at Cahore beach, which has been intermittently used, also the raven and wexford harbour have been used by small numbers. Cahore beach is extensive (20 miles of beach?) - last time i checked it i couldn't find any little terns at all but apparently they move around quite a bit...

There is another site in wexford at Cahore beach, which has been intermittently used, also the raven and wexford harbour have been used by small numbers. Cahore beach is extensive (20 miles of beach?) - last time i checked it i couldn't find any little terns at all but apparently they move around quite a bit...

The north Wexford/south Wicklow coastline could easily hold a number of small, undiscovered Little Tern colonies as I'd imagine large sections are virtually undisturbed. The Cahore colony attempt to breed most years I believe but there is no protection & a high level of disturbance from quads.

The Raven colony abandoned a few years ago (coinciding with an increase at Kilcoole) but they seem to have returned and there are c.20 pairs nesting this year (per. Alyn Walsh, NPWS).

The Kilcoole colony is faring much better than I had thought, with 23 nests today so far and the first chicks have started to hatch (from those nests which survived the storms on the 6th June). Two Hedgehogs which had been predating eggs were caught and re-located.

See ya,
Niall

If anyone find some Hedgehogs in Baltray that need relocating, I could do with some in my garden to protect out Veg patch?
Our regular hedgehog over the last few years was found dead on the avenue road recently :(

Gareth

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back