• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring Snowflake - a wild British plant? (1 Viewer)

Grampy Bustard

I understand that there are a couple of sites for this plant, in Somerset and Dorset, but is it really a wild plant? The Dorset ones are in a rural uncultivated location, downstream from and not far from a large estate with many introduced trees and shrubs. From what I remember, the Somerset ones, although in larger numbers, are also in a similar location.

Attachments

• Spring Sowflake.jpg
    Spring Sowflake.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 199
Ours arn't in flower yet around here yet. Locally they're called the Loddon Lily, and grow in marshy area's by the side of the river Loddon and as far as I know are not cultivated!
Just done a search on google and it came up with another name:
Loddon Lily - leucojum aestivum Also known as - Summer/Giant Snowflake, so may not be exactly the same, they grow as tall as daffodils!, oh its not. After reading further leucojum verbum Spring Snowflake is similar, but different!.

http://www.brickfieldspark.org/data/loddon_lily.htm

Well, I enjoyed that waffle!.

Last edited:
Nice shot Grampy.
Here in New Jersey, USA ours are just starting to push through showing a little green. Winter Aconite, Crocus, Daffs are out . Welcome sign of Spring!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back