• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where To Go - 2012 Holiday (1 Viewer)

*Star*

We want to go to Scotland for the first time next year but are stuck on where is best. We love all wildlife and photographing everything.
We would love somewhere with heaps of different wildlife plus the eagles are a big pull so somewhere they are active as well.

Any ideas of anyone who lives up there - or knows good places to visit - would be great. Thanks.

Hi Star and a warm welcome to you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators.

You're rather spoilt for choice up here. Have a look in Opus and check out the various links on that page, and see what appeals.

The Isle of Mull and the Loch Garten area are among the favourite destinations.

Don't be afraid to come back for more ideas.

D

I'm biased towards Speyside and Moray coast for the Wildlife side of things... scenery the West Coast gets the edge!

Wherever you go you are sure to have a great time though.

Dave

I would go for Mull as there is such a great variety of wildlife there. There are plenty of tour guides who can take you around the island to see the highlights, and then you could get out on a boat trip or two to see whales and dolphins and also visit some of the smaller islands nearby to see the seabirds.

speyside i was there 1st week in november great weeks birding i put my highlights of the week on the moray thread hope this helps cheers john

We want to go to Scotland for the first time next year but are stuck on where is best. We love all wildlife and photographing everything.
We would love somewhere with heaps of different wildlife plus the eagles are a big pull so somewhere they are active as well.

Any ideas of anyone who lives up there - or knows good places to visit - would be great. Thanks.

Welcome Star to the BF

I am from Edinburgh myself, and have done a lot of work on reserves in my younger life in Scotland.

It depends on the time limit you have, do you have a car, and how far north you wish to travel. The Sea Eagles living on the Scottish isles is a must see (got to do that trip myself sometime)

My suggestion would be having a look at some of the Reserves on the East Coast. Reserves such as Aberlady Bay, Coldingham, for the seabird colonies, especially at this time of the year. So many to choose from but some are easy travelling distance from one another.

Montrose Basin is our favourite reserve to visit. It has an assortment of all sorts of birds and wildlife and the history of the place is very interesting too.

Have a look at the RSPB and SWT websites for other suggestions for reserves

Love to hear about your final choices. :gh::t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Depends on what time of the year you are going and how far you wish to travel. The Outer Hebrides is stunning and my own recommendation would be for North and South Uist, not only for the birdwatching but wildlife in general. April/ May would be a good time and the RSPB place on North Uist is fabulous

Stewart

Hi Star. I'm in the process of booking next years holiday now. I'll be splitting the fortnight with a week on Mull and a week in Nethybridge. Both places are fantastic as others have already mentioned. My only advice if you're thinking of booking Mull is to book it sooner rather than later. Lots of the holiday cottages are already booked up.

Have a great trip,

Rich

How long are you planning to visit and do you have your own transport?

Personally I would head West but then I'm hugely biased having grown up in the Western Isles!

Skye then across to North Uist and down via the causeways to Benbecula and South Uist. Drive back up and head across to Harris via the sound of Harris ferry (lovely trip) and from there spend a couple of days exploring Lewis and Harris. If you run out of wildlife to watch then there's plenty of touristy things to do (Calanais Stones, Carloway Broch etc).

Then ferry across to Ullapool and head North to Assynt - the scenery alone is stunning.

Don't blame me if you don't want to go home afterwards! |:d|

(Not sure if I'm allowed to say it, but I work for a certain Scottish Tourist info agency, can get loads of brochures sent to you if you need anything to peruse)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back