• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10 easy Bulgarian mystery birds (1 Viewer)

Tim Allwood said:
cap varies in different areas Adey

turkish birds are different but Bulgaria i don't know.....

BWP quotes lugubris (brown-capped) for the 'Balkans' with the black-capped anatoliae for Turkey.

All species have now been correctly identified. Except one (not saying which one yet).
The leaders are: Tom McKinney and Brianhstone, who are tied on 70%

Tim Allwood said:
cap varies in different areas Adey

turkish birds are different but Bulgaria i don't know.....

forget that cap, look at the bib - it's tiny!!!! Also i think the back is too brown, but then again i've only seen turkish birds. I have a strong feeling this bird and number two are definitely wrong from brian's original 7/10 list. Also, i think the bunting could well be a yellowhammer as tom says, as it seems to have a rusty rump!

So my latest effort (no comments on the fairness of having 3 goes please!!) is
1. Willow Warbler
2. Hen Harrier
3. Syrian Woodpecker
4. Honey Buzzard
5. Imperial Eagle
6. Yellowhammer
7. Masked Shrike
8. Red-breasted Flycatcher
9. Crested Lark
10. Marsh Tit

It always helps when setting a quiz that you know the answers yourself!
I cocked-up on the one that I thought hadn't been named!
So Brian is actually on 80%.
ALL birds have been correctly named.

James Lowther said:
forget that cap, look at the bib - it's tiny!!!! Also i think the back is too brown, but then again i've only seen turkish birds. I have a strong feeling this bird and number two are definitely wrong from brian's original 7/10 list. Also, i think the bunting could well be a yellowhammer as tom says, as it seems to have a rusty rump!

So my latest effort (no comments on the fairness of having 3 goes please!!) is
1. Willow Warbler
2. Hen Harrier
3. Syrian Woodpecker
4. Honey Buzzard
5. Imperial Eagle
6. Yellowhammer **
7. Masked Shrike
9. Crested Lark
10. Marsh Tit **

** = alternatives I played with. The tit was the one I looked at hardest but I thought I could see the bib extending to the side. I'd be more than happy with Marsh. Can't remember why I went with Cirl for no.6 now. I briefly considered Hen Harrier for no.2 but it didn't feel right. That would be unusual in Bulgaria when Chris was there I think anyway.

The answers then:

1. Willow Warbler
2. Montagu's Harrier
3. Syrian Woodpecker
4. Honey Buzzard
5. Imperial Eagle
6. Cirl Bunting (juv)
7. Masked Shrike
9. Crested Lark
10. Willow Tit (don't argue!)

Damn, allowed myself to be talked out of Willow Tit - I even put a similar 'neat' and smallish-bibbed bird in a quiz I did myself some time ago!

Nr. 2 is a sparrowhawk, isn't it? It has six fingers in the wingtips, while Montagu's has only four. It also has too short and broad wings and the barring in the remiges is rather different. A goshawk would have more rounded corners to the tail, a longer neck and a wider tail base.

Nr. 2 is a sparrowhawk, isn't it? It has six fingers in the wingtips, while Montagu's has only four. It also has too short and broad wings and the barring in the remiges is rather different. A goshawk would have more rounded corners to the tail, a longer neck and a wider tail base.

agreed, can't make this one into a harrier.

i'm counting 5 fingers (i.e. without the outermost p) in pic 2 ergo hen harrier. never levant sprawk. also, wings look too broad for montys. why monty's then, chris?
oops, i realize this thread is ancient...

Last edited:
i'm counting 5 fingers (i.e. without the outermost p) in pic 2 ergo hen harrier. never levant sprawk. also, wings look too broad for montys. why monty's then, chris?
oops, i realize this thread is ancient...

I was just surfing around and didn't notice that this thread was so old, sorry...

However, picture nr. 2 is not a Hen Harrier either, as p6 is much longer than p1 (the outermost primary). Hen Harriers have five fingers, if p1 is regarded to be a finger, otherwise four (p6 is not even pointed).

Here's a Hen Harrier:
http://www.tarsiger.com/images/kunsa/circya1_8294_ps_edt.jpg

Also notice the different barring of the flight feathers (both wings and tail).

Here's a sparrowhawk:
http://www.tarsiger.com/images/pirpa/anis.jpg

Notice the proportions of the fingers and also the distinct contrast between the white undertail and the barred belly, visible also in pic. nr. 2.

Regarding the Tit, it looks like a Marsh Tit to me too (smallish head, glossy crown, small black patch on the chin). However, identifying Marsh/Willow Tits from pictures can sometimes be rather hard...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back