• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tanager in Venezuela? (1 Viewer)

iainp

I thought this one would be too hard to ID because of the blue in the wing and the dark head, but I can't find it in my field guide.

Taken in the lower Andes, April 2010

Thanks,

Iain

Attachments

• d60m4.jpg
    d60m4.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 92
That does seem to be a difficult one. I have looked through the tanagers and some finches, and the closest I have come is a possible juvenile Golden-naped Tanager. That does not seem very certain either.

sorry
Niels

Hi Niels. I don't think that one's in Venezuela anyway!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden-naped_Tanager

Ah well, it can go on my "mystery list"; I have quite a few in there already ;-)

The great thing about this wonderful help from yourself and others on the forum is that I can get the bird IDed, or not, then move on to the next one on my memory cards.

Previously when I got to a bird I couldn't ID I got "stuck" and found myself giving up for weeks or months at a time. Hence I'm still trying to catalogue my birds a year after my trip. With BF behind me I'm already up to Bird 80 on my life list and I'm expecting to get to at least double that. Not a bad result from 2 simple "tourist" trips. Best of all, with all this knowledge I'm building up, I'll be well equipped when I return in the summer.

Regards,

Iain

Hi James (and Peter) thanks for suggestions. It certainly ticks some of the boxes but in my picture the black seems to be restricted to the crown rather than the whole head.
Perhaps that's what immatures look like? There certainly were Black-headed Tanagers in the area, in fact both the pics in the second link are mine! ;-)

Cheers,
Iain

I also looked at black-headed in the books I looked at, and the Restall book shows the black going all the way down the back of the head of the males. Juveniles lack black in head and wings, tail is also paler than adult. There is not any between plumages shown/described, so maybe (but only maybe) this could be an immature plumage. Does it take more than one year for a male to reach full old-male plumage in the genus Tangara?

Niels

Black-headed

looks fine for adult male

remember some of these plates aren't the best and birds can look very different in the field. Opal-rumped often looks black in the field

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back