• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China observations (3 Viewers)

Very well done, Dev!
Beijing's frigatebird - a juvenile at Miyun representing the third record for the capital - was still present yesterday (friday) but not seen today in murky conditions. It's been twitched by lots of birders and photographers and I am hoping some of those photos will be available soon...

I'm down in bed with grip-fever now... :eek!: Fantastic! Congratulations Dev! :king:

Wow. Just wow.

Great find, Dev.

wonderful record!

Fantastic find Dev - huge congratulations!

Cheers
Mike

I forgot to add..."You swine"!!

Thank you Gentlemen.

Very well done, Dev!
Beijing's frigatebird - a juvenile at Miyun representing the third record for the capital - was still present yesterday (friday) but not seen today in murky conditions. It's been twitched by lots of birders and photographers and I am hoping some of those photos will be available soon...

Thanks Terry. Not sure abt Shanghai's record though. As per Birdtalker, there are no reports for Shanghai but there was one during Aug-Sep of 2012 when a typhoon hit Shanghai.

Several hundred Siberian Blue Robin and several hundred Yellow-rumped Flycatcher are passing Rudong,with a single FPitta.

Northern Wheatear on Yangshan

Just a brief update from Yangshan this morning. Quite a lot of mid-sept migration birds. Packed with flycatchers, warblers and brown shrikes.

Highlight was a first year Northern Wheatear. Relatively rare in these parts of China. Found it along the access road to the Magic Garbage Station and saw it at basically the same place again on the way out.

Other birds worth mentioning were

Rufous-bellied Woodpecker 1 Temple
Jap Quail 1 T
Oriental Scops Owl 2 T
Black-capped Kingfisher 1 MGS
Black-winged Cuckoo-Shrike 1 MGS

Cheers,
jocko

Attachments

• DSC_2101.jpg
    DSC_2101.jpg
    846.5 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC_2103.jpg
    DSC_2103.jpg
    869.4 KB · Views: 57
Zappey at Nanhui

Dear All,

thanks for greetings...

However, last Sunday turned out even better than it seemed. Apparently the Northern Wheatear and Rufous-bellied Woodpecker were not quite enough.

In the small bushy areas along the Nanhui seawall, a km or two N of the old "reserve" I found a Zappey-like flycatcher.

I did not report it directly last Sunday as I was not super certain of how the two blue-and-white ssp and Zappey could vary in autum plumage. I felt that I needed some more experienced guidance. Per Alstrom, Bjorn Anderson and Paul Holt all gave their valuable comments and finally I also got the nod of approval from Paul Leader today.

The core characters were bluish breast, thin blackish band on lower breast and lack of contrast between breast side/neck/mantle.

So, another pretty good bird from Pudong! What more will show up during the autumn?

I hope noone feels disappointed or that I kept my find in the dark. I could of course have published something about a "potential" on Sunday afternoon but chose not to as I prefer to be more sure about what I am claiming in public. Trust that you support me on that!

All the best,
jocko

Attachments

• DSC_2188.jpg
    DSC_2188.jpg
    582.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Via Birding Beijing Facebook Page..

MEGA: STREAKED REED WARBLER today near Tongzhou, Beijing. A superb find by Paul Holt. Must be one of the most difficult birds to see on the planet.

Sounds like a stunning day turned into something even better - great stuff Jocko! Three birds that would blow me away in HK!

I know this is one of the endless debates of birding, but personally, if it were in HK I'd prefer to know - even if the ID is not confirmed - as it might give more people a chance to decide for themselves whether they go or not.

Its also true that travelling distances in HK are far shorter, so the risk of a wasted trip are substantially lower.

Cheers
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back