• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK, Stockton-on-Tees. A bird that sounds like a Sandwich Tern? (1 Viewer)

jnobel

I am very confused!

I just heard a bird calling while it flew over (it's dark, so I didn't see it). The flight call sounded like Sandwich Tern to me. But we live about 10 miles from the sea...

Any suggestions as to what other bird this might have been?

Thanks,

Jan

Still very likely a Sandwich Tern. Sandwich, Little and Common Terns are regulalry recorded crossing the Pennines. They've all been reported at Hurworth Burn Reservoir which is ore than ten miles from the sea as well.

Have heard young Black Headed Gulls making a broadly similar call to a Sandwich Tern recently. Not quite as raucous but a simlar sort of tone.

Thanks for the replies. As Phil said, the call was quite unmistakable, but I wasn't aware of the overland migration. A rather unexpected garden tick!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back