• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonfly larva (1 Viewer)

Lorne

I was pulling upright some pond plants that had been flattened by the wind and noticed several dragonfly larva, so I am encloseing a photo of one. Although I have seen Blue-tailed damselfly ovipositing there I am sure this is a dragonfly, and our commonest in the garden would be Common Darter and Migrant Hawker, so any ID please?
Regards Lorne.

Last edited:
I'm no expert on these but this is a Hawker rather than a Darter, which are shorter and fatter. Following the key in Brooks it could well be Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta), although it is impossible to see all the necessary detail on the picture (need a good closeup of the abdomen tip showing the spines on segment 9).

HTH

Dragonfly larvae can take several years to mature and I believe the key in Brooks only applies to final-instar larvae. My guess would be one of the Aeshna species. Southern must be another possibility. It's hard to be certain which species oviposit in your pond unless you keep a constant eye on it. Your best bet is probably to keep an eye on what emerges!
Harry Eales or Steve Covey might be able to take it further!
Ken

Lorne said:
I was pulling upright some pond plants that had been flattened by the wind and noticed several dragonfly larva, so I am encloseing a photo of one. Although I have seen Blue-tailed damselfly ovipositing there I am sure this is a dragonfly, and our commonest in the garden would be Common Darter and Migrant Hawker, so any ID please?
Regards Lorne.

Hi Lorne,
it's the larva of a Brown Hawker [Aeshna grandis] dragonfly. The pale banding on the legs distinguishes it from all the other aeshnids. As Brian says there are other distinguishing features but a more greatly detailed image would be required to see those.
Cheers,

Steve.

steve covey said:
Hi Lorne,
it's the larva of a Brown Hawker [Aeshna grandis] dragonfly. The pale banding on the legs distinguishes it from all the other aeshnids. As Brian says there are other distinguishing features but a more greatly detailed image would be required to see those.
Cheers,

Steve.

I would agree without any doubt whatsoever, that it is a Hawker species, However, leg banding is not at all confined to the Brown Hawker, it is also present on Southern Hawker and even Common Hawker. Both of which I have bred. Your photograph is of a still immature nymph, therefore your best bet for a positive ID is to wait until the specimens emerge and then either photograph the specimen, or collect the exuvia for detailed examination. A single point (such as leg banding) is really unsufficient for a positive ID. An examination of the labium and other features is the best way to go. If you can lay your hands on an exuvia later in the year I will be willing to ID it for you.

Harry

harry eales said:
I would agree without any doubt whatsoever, that it is a Hawker species, However, leg banding is not at all confined to the Brown Hawker, it is also present on Southern Hawker and even Common Hawker. Both of which I have bred. Your photograph is of a still immature nymph, therefore your best bet for a positive ID is to wait until the specimens emerge and then either photograph the specimen, or collect the exuvia for detailed examination. A single point (such as leg banding) is really unsufficient for a positive ID. An examination of the labium and other features is the best way to go. If you can lay your hands on an exuvia later in the year I will be willing to ID it for you.

Harry

That's interesting Harry! All the larval keys that I have only mention pale leg banding in relation to Brown Hawker, as if that is a diagnostic feature of this species. Just goes to show that you can't always rely on accepted canon.
I've never actually attempted to breed out larvae - is it easy, I might give it a go. Although I would have to negotiate with my wife for some house room to set up a tank. ;)
Cheers,

Steve.

Also, the more I think about it, Brown Hawker would be quite an unusual species to have in a garden pond. Much more likely that it's a Southern Hawker [Eye/head shape wrong for Emperor]

steve covey said:
That's interesting Harry! All the larval keys that I have only mention pale leg banding in relation to Brown Hawker, as if that is a diagnostic feature of this species. Just goes to show that you can't always rely on accepted canon.
I've never actually attempted to breed out larvae - is it easy, I might give it a go. Although I would have to negotiate with my wife for some house room to set up a tank. ;)
Cheers,

Steve.

Hello Steve.
Breeding Odonata is really very easy. I use a simple glass fish tanks approx 2' x 1'x18" (usually bought from Car Boot Sales for a couple of pounds) with an air pump to keep the oxygen levels fairly high. A few pieces of Canadian Pondweed gives them somewhere to rest/hide/stalk from etc. The only problem is keeping up with enough live food. I usually use Copepods, Cyclops or similar small Crustations early in the year and Tadpoles when they become available, Small sticklebacks are also useful as a food source. They will also take small earthworms as they get larger. Fortunately, I have a small pond nearby which provides me with all the live food they need.

I remove all dead or partially consumed food each day and don't seem to have any problems seeing them through to the adult stage. If food is in short supply, they will eat each other, so it pays to add sufficient live food each day to keep them happy. When it comes to emergence time I use a few short lengths of roughened garden canes to give them a support. Never overcrowd them, this always seems to lead to canabalism.

Common Hawker nymphs from peaty pools in my area always seem to be black, yet after a moult in clear water they do change colour to a lighter shade of brown.

It really is simple to breed Dragonflies, especially those found in ponds, and nothing is more pleasurable than watching them feed or emerge.

I have three tanks on my windowsill each containing a range of Dragonfly species. I find it far more relaxing to watch them, than watching TV, and much better than watching goldfish swimming aimlessly around. lol.

Harry

Last edited:
harry eales said:
Hello Steve.
Breeding Odonata is really very easy. I use a simple glass fish tanks approx 2' x 1'x18" (usually bought from Car Boot Sales for a couple of pounds) with an air pump to keep the oxygen levels fairly high. A few pieces of Canadian Pondweed gives them somewhere to rest/hide/stalk from etc. The only problem is keeping up with enough live food. I usually use Copepods, Cyclops or similar small Crustations early in the year and Tadpoles when they become available, Small sticklebacks are also useful as a food source. They will also take small earthworms as they get larger. Fortunately, I have a small pond nearby which provides me with all the live food they need.

I remove all dead or partially consumed food each day and don't seem to have any problems seeing them through to the adult stage. If food is in short supply, they will eat each other, so it pays to add sufficient live food each day to keep them happy. When it comes to emergence time I use a few short lengths of roughened garden canes to give them a support. Never overcrowd them, this always seems to lead to canabalism.

Common Hawker nymphs from peaty pools in my area always seem to be black, yet after a moult in clear water they do change colour to a lighter shade of brown.

It really is simple to breed Dragonflies, especially those found in ponds, and nothing is more pleasurable than watching them feed or emerge.

I have three tanks on my windowsill each containing a range of Dragonfly species. I find it far more relaxing to watch them, than watching TV, and much better than watching goldfish swimming aimlessly around. lol.

Harry
Thanks for that Harry, I wouldn't mind giving that a go - just have to convince my wife now!!!
Cheers,
Steve.

steve covey said:
Thanks for that Harry, I wouldn't mind giving that a go - just have to convince my wife now!!!
Cheers,
Steve.

Dammit Steve,
Your a man, don't ask, tell her. Don't whimp out. If she objects, tell her she has a choice, it's either breeding a few Dragonflies or joining a twice weekly meeting of the Whiskey Appreciation Society. That should keep her quiet. lol.

Forty years ago my wife gave me an ultimatum of choosing between her and my insects. I said, 'Don't forget to leave a forwarding address'. I've been footloose and fancy free ever since. Wahey.

Harry.

harry eales said:
Dammit Steve,
If she objects, tell her she has a choice, it's either breeding a few Dragonflies or joining a twice weekly meeting of the Whiskey Appreciation Society. That should keep her quiet. lol.
Harry.
Too late Harry - I joined the Society years ago [the Malt sub group] ;)

Gulp! I didnt expect such a response as this. I have only been takeing an interest in dragonflies for a couple of years so I'm not so sure of how widespread these species are around here. Brown Hawker I have only seen in the midlands and I'm sure that Migrant is the main one we have in the garden. However both Common and Southern appear here and Southern would be more expected.
I watched a couple emerge last year and thought they were Emperors, but I could have easily been mistaken, so this year I'll have to spend a bit more time with them.
Lorne

Lorne said:
Gulp! I didnt expect such a response as this. I have only been takeing an interest in dragonflies for a couple of years so I'm not so sure of how widespread these species are around here. Brown Hawker I have only seen in the midlands and I'm sure that Migrant is the main one we have in the garden. However both Common and Southern appear here and Southern would be more expected.
I watched a couple emerge last year and thought they were Emperors, but I could have easily been mistaken, so this year I'll have to spend a bit more time with them.
Lorne
Hi Lorne,
if you collect the exuviae after you've watched the dragonflies emerge it is a lot easier to look at the salient ID features then - with the added advantage that you already know what the 'answer' is. A good way to get used to the keys. If you don't already have one then I would recommend investing in a good hand lens to magnify up some of the finer details.
Is your pond in an acidic area, ie. do you have heathland adjacent to your property as that is the preferred habitat for Common Hawker.
Cheers,

Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back