• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting Footprint - Otter?? (1 Viewer)

Ruby

Hi Guys,

Anyone got any thoughts regarding this footprint - the coin pictured is a 1p to give an idea of scale.

My own thoughts are.... too big for a mink, too claw-y for a dog....

Gotta be an Otter!!

Where I found it there have been persistent rumours of Otters, but I don't know anyone who's actually seen one!!

Rgds... Ruby

Attachments

• footprint.jpg
    footprint.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 258
Oops, sorry ;)

ok, here's what me little book says about Otters:

Track: Medium: hind 8.5 x 6cm; fore 6.5 x 6cm. Tracks are square with a 3 or 4 lobed interdigital pad. 5 pads are normal, but sometimes only 4 show. In deep depressions a single proximal pad is present.

Just teasing Helen....

So - yer average 1p is about 2 cm, so that's maybe about right for a fore footprint...

Robin - This was at Stodmarsh, about halfway along the river there...

Ruby said:
Robin - This was at Stodmarsh, about halfway along the river there...
I've heard that they have been seen there.

I was there on Sunday. Not a bad day - first Hobby of the year amongst others.

Mmm. Looks more dog than otter to me - the soft deep mud likely to accentuate the claws, particularly if the dog in question doesn't do much 'road-work' and they're not worn down.

But there definitely are Otters on the R Stour.

CornishExile said:
Mmm. Looks more dog than otter to me - the soft deep mud likely to accentuate the claws, particularly if the dog in question doesn't do much 'road-work' and they're not worn down.

But there definitely are Otters on the R Stour.

Hmmm.. Now that I come to think of it, as well as a Stoat, I DO remember seeing a decidedly damp labrador.....

Doesn't looked webbed to me, and too big for an otter, surely? I'd go for a dog (though there are otters on the Stour.)

.. Been doing a little bit of investigation myelf, and forced to the conclusion that this isn't an Otter print, but probably something much more mundane, like a dog!!

Interested in the couple of comments regarding Otters on the R Stour.... Does anyone have any more details??

Rgds... Ruby

Ruby said:
.. Been doing a little bit of investigation myelf, and forced to the conclusion that this isn't an Otter print, but probably something much more mundane, like a dog!!

Interested in the couple of comments regarding Otters on the R Stour.... Does anyone have any more details??

Rgds... Ruby

They're an absolute bugger to see in riverine habitat I'm afraid Ruby. (They're not exactly easy in coastal settings either). In either case it's really a matter of sheer good fortune to find them in the first place. The problem with rivers is that there's plenty of cover, and these incredibly shy mammals will bolt at the first sign of disturbance. At least at the coast you've a chance of first spotting them from a distance, and stalking your way closer to them without disturbing them.

The closest you're likely to get to an Otter on the Stour is finding some Otter spraint, easily identifiable when rubbed between finger and thumb by it's musky, sweet fishy smell. You'll learn by bitter experience what it looks like; it's a steep learning curve punctuated with other less pleasant poo on the way! ;)

The more undisturbed bits of the Stour between Chilham and Wye are as good a place as anywhere; if nothing else there are Kingfishers and Grey Wagtails to make the whole experience a bit less jading. I'd go as early in the morning as you can, as again, Otters prefer things to be quiet and peaceful. Be as silent as you can, and you might just sneak up on one unawares. Dog Otters seem to like slobbing around and grooming in the sun if they think they're on their own; more than one Otter together (ie, male and female or female and cubs) will be your best bet for knowing they're nearby, as they tend to be quite vocal, with plenty of squeaking and wheezing calls.

Good luck!

Jon

I'd go for a dog, with toes spread in mud. Otter should have webbed feet.

But I wish everybody sightings of otters :)

Hi Jon,

THanks for that - very interesting and good info...

Have you been lucky enough to see one on the Stour??

Jurek - I fear that you are correct!!

Rgds.... Ruby

Ruby said:
Hi Jon,

THanks for that - very interesting and good info...

Have you been lucky enough to see one on the Stour??

Jurek - I fear that you are correct!!

Rgds.... Ruby

No, I've not seen one on the Stour, Ruby, for all the usual reasons. But I have found spraint on several occasions between 1992 and 2003, with increasing frequency latterly. Whether they're residents or transients I honestly couldn't say. But...

(you're not going to like this, sorry!)

... I do see them fairly regularly here in Shetland, probably once a fortnight or so, sometimes more often. Most frequently when I'm out birding around the coast near my house, but sometimes (you really won't like this!!) from the house itself, as it overlooks a great piece of shoreline. The last couple of winters we've had a female using one of our byres (the one I store sacks of peat in for the fire) as a temporary holt; several times I've walked in to find her scrambling away over the sacks, and swearing at me in Otter from the back of the byre. She's quite feisty!

Friends on the island are especially blessed for Otters, as they live near a tidal lagoon (a houb), and often see Otters fishing only a few feet from their window. A few weeks ago I was there watching a female and two of presumably last year's cubs fishing along the shore, maybe some 12 feet away.

If you're ever coming to Shetland, let me know. I'll try and give you some directions to finally meeting your Otter.

Jon

Sounds fantastic Jon - You're very lucky to be able to see them so regularly.

I'll be keeping my eye out in future...

hi ... i'd go along with the dog theory i'm afraid. with a dogs footprint if you draw a line straight through the middle of the print it will be symetrical, an otter is not.

Yep I would go with Dog, as in such deep mud the fith toe of an otter would show clearly as would the webbing.

Colin.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back